Easy Peasy Blueberry Pie (No Rolling Pin Needed!)

This is also known as "Lazy Days of Summer Pie!"  Really, this is the easiest berry pie you will ever make.  I found this recipe here and have been giving it all kinds of names because it is just so simple to make.  With this pie in particular you need to remember that the pie will only be as good as the berries you put in it.  With other pies you can add lots of sugar but this one relies on the berries themselves.  No thickening agents, nothing.  I did add a sprinkling of brown sugar on the berries but it was no more than maybe a rounded teaspoon.  I wanted to make the recipe as it was written the first time.  The bonus with this pie is that there is no rolling involved.  It doesn't taste exactly like a pie but close enough if not better.  Also, don't think when you slice it that it will be a clean slice. No, some of your berries will have burst and they land where they want.  It's just too good a pie not to make, especially if you don't want your oven on long and want something with little prep time.  I used blueberries but the original recipe calls for any berries.  I encourage you to try this is if you love pie.  It will not disappoint...promise!!!! BTW - your crust will not be as dark as mine....I made one of my very usual mistakes and turned  my oven up too high.  Why do I always seem to make at least one mistake when I try a new recipe?????

1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
3/8  cup white sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
3/8 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
2 1/2 cups fresh blueberries (I used 18 oz carton)
teaspoon brown sugar sprinkled on berries

To Make Crust:  Blend flour and butter and mix well. (I cut up butter in tiny cubes and used food processor.)  Add baking powder, sugar, vanilla and egg.  (I added sugar and baking powder and pulsed until well incorporated.  Then I added vanilla to egg and poured slowly into processor and mixed until well combined.  About 30 seconds, pulsing on and off several times and then letting it run for about 10 seconds).
At this point let the dough rest for 25 minutes.

Using a 9" glass pie pan, put mixture into center.  Break off about 1/3 of mixture and set aside for topping. Press evenly along bottom and up sides. Poke holes with fork along bottom and sides.  Let dough rest again for 25 minutes.   Add blueberries and top with brown sugar.  Break remaining dough into small, flat discs and lay on top of berries.

Bake in 400 degree F oven for 25 minutes and let rest on wire rack to cool. Or add ice cream on top of warm slice of pie!!

Enjoy!





Comments

Joanne said…
No crust rolling?! I'm so intrigued. Looks delicious!