Chocolate Cream Pie (with sweetened condensed milk)

This has become my favorite "go to" chocolate pie.  As soon as I saw that this used sweetened condensed milk I knew that I had to give it a try.  I expected it to be very sweet but it's not.  It's just the perfect amount of chocolate and sweetness.   What I love about this recipe is that it's just so easy and fairly inexpensive to make.  You just use cocoa....no expensive chocolate, no chopping chocolate etc.  You can use a store bought pie shell and just bake it according to the directions or use your own recipe.  I think next time I make this I will make a graham cracker crust. Think it would be great with this pie.

This has been a tough winter for me so far.  This past month I have caught bug after bug and now to top it all off it looks like I may have torn a tendon in my left shoulder.  At least it's the left and not the right.  Going in for an MRI tomorrow and I am one claustrophobic person.  I work in a hospital so I know the techs that will be doing this so I am hoping that keeps my anxiety in check....we'll see.  I just plan on bringing a cd and listening to it and closing my eyes BEFORE I get in the machine and keeping them buggers shut until it's over....Wish me luck!

Recipe found on Pinterest

1 2/3 cups water
3 tablespoons cornstarch (I used 4)
5 tablespoons cocoa (I used 5 very rounded)
1 (14 ounce) can eagle brand sweetened condensed milk
3 egg yolks, beaten
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 (9 inch) baked pastry shell

Mix water and cornstarch and cocoa until smooth.
Sir in Eagle Brand milk and egg yolks.
Cook until thick in saucepan stirring constantly.
Stir in 2 tablespoons butter.
Add vanilla.  (Mixture might be very lumpy - keep stirring and this will eventually become smooth)
Pour into baked pie shell.   Place plastic wrap evenly over entire surface of pie and let cool.  Place in refrigerator for at least 4 hours.  
Serve with whipped cream, if desired.
























Comments

Unknown said…
I adore any form of chocolate cream pie... and the easier the better!!!
teresa said…
you poor thing! good luck with the MRI, i hope you feel better soon, it sounds painful!

this looks awesome, i could go for a chocolate pie about now.

ps, i don't know if you got my email, but i got your book! i already made a batch of scones and they were awesome!
Blond Duck said…
Good luck with the MRI! I want to make this for Ben's b-day!
I almost posted chocolate cream pie yesterday, but decided on biscuits instead, pushing the pie back for a few weeks. I, too, like to just use cocoa. I like your "Serve with whipped cream, if desired." I'd probably say "Serve with whipped cream, unless you're crazy!" :D It's my favorite part!
PS Hope your MRI went well. My family member has the same difficulty, so I'd love to hear how you coped. And I hope your injury heals fast!
Unknown said…
Hello! I recently just started a youtube Korean food channel, EasyKoreanFood, where you can learn how to make fast & easy Korean food! It would mean the world to me if you could check it out because I'm just starting out! Thanks!
Joanne said…
My mom makes a chocolate pudding pie from JELLO every Christmas. this year I'm putting an end to it with this wonderful pie!
Mary Bergfeld said…
Your pie is an OMG temptation for me! I love things that are bad for me :-). This looks and sounds delicious. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary
Leslie said…
Chocolate cream pie has to be the best thing EVER!
Catherine said…
Dear Debbie, I will keep you in my prayers. This winter has been a bit too long. I agree!! I look forward to some nice sunshine and getting some fresh air. I hope that you feel better real soon and are back to being as good as new.
The pie does sound good. I like the sweetened condensed milk too. It even tastes good in coffee.
Thank you for stopping by and visiting and your kind comments. It means so much knowing my circle of blogging friends are out there.
Blessings and xoxo, Catherine
Blond Duck said…
I hope everything is ok with you!
Lechia Lewis said…
This pie is the easiest chocolate pie i ever made and it was delicious