Condensed Milk Pound Cake


Well we've had quite a bit more snow here and this is definitely not any fun. I guess the Farmer's Almanac was right - we are having a hard winter. But really...enough is enough. Now I know why when people get older they move to warmer climates. I'm at the point where I don't even care about the change of seasons anymore...just give me warm weather every day!!!! At least the schools here are closed tomorrow due to teacher's conferences so they don't have to use up another snow day. Would you believe they are already forecasting that we may have more snow next weekend????? I don't even want to think about that. I'll tell you this though - I will be better prepared for whatever it is I decide to bake....I had no eggs or sugar this weekend! That's right. How in the world do you run out of sugar? That to me is like running out of salt.....doesn't happen often. Of course I had already started 2 recipes and wasted a ton of ingredients before I realized I was out of both. Not pretty....since I was already pissed about the snow!!!!


Anyhow this cake was made last week before the snow hit and it was out of this world good!!! I love pound cakes so it doesn't take much for me to swoon over a good one but this one was really, really good. I found this over at Engineer Baker. I'd never heard of a pound cake using sweetened condensed milk before so this really intrigued me. It was one of those recipes that just screamed out "make me now!" I, of course, promptly obeyed....hope you give it a try! (Please note that this cake is made in a food processor - never made a pound cake in one before but it came out perfect!).


1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus more for greasing the pan

1 1/3 cups all purpose flour

3/4 tsp baking powder

1/2 cup sugar

1 tsp vanilla extract

1 tsp salt

3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk

3 large eggs


Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Generously butter 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 loaf pan and set aside.

Sift together flour and baking powder and set aside.

Put the sugar in a food processor and add the butter and salt and process until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes, scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl occassionally. Add the condensed milk and pulse until well incorporated, about 15 times, scraping down the sides of the bowl once. Add the sifted dry ingredients and pulse until no traces of flour remain, about 10 times. Add the eggs and pulse just until combined, about 5 times. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl, add the vanilla extract and finish mixing by hand to fully incorporate the eggs.

Transfer the batter to the prepared loaf pan. Bake until the top is dark, golden brown and a tester inserted in center comes out clean, about 1 hour. (Mine took 1 hour, 10 minutes.) Cool completely in the loaf pan on a rack, then unmold.



Comments

Katy ~ said…
No eggs, no sugar! GASP! I always keep like 12 pounds of butter in the fridge, and can't believe it when I actually run out, LOL. I agree about the cold and the snow, enough is more than enough.

Yummmm...pound cake. Now we're talking. This does sound very good. I have a can of condensed milk in the pantry...will have to keep this cake in mind.

Thanks for this delicious post.

LOL about being pizzed off. Didn't know you knew such words! LOL
Joanne said…
Running out of eggs and sugar is like my worst nightmare. Almost as bad as running out of flour.

Interesting pound cake! I've never heard of making it like this also. I'll add it to my list of recipes to try.
Manggy said…
Southeast Asians are particularly fond of sweetened condensed milk - since the second world war. Pichet Ong developed this recipe and it is fabulous! You did a great job with it! :)
No egg, no sugar... that would definitely put me in a panic also.

Great looking pound cake. It's been forever since I made one. I'm bookmarking this one to try when strawberries are in season.
George Gaston said…
Debbie, this is a terrific pound cake with seven ingredients we all have on hand. How great can that be. And it looks absolutely delicious, too.

Many thanks...
Love it. I love that you make in the processor. I love my processor. And condensed milk? awesome!
Now go shopping girl...we need more cake!
Jenn said…
Amidst all the snow you sure made a tasty looking pound cake. I remember when I was young, I used to eat one of those ready made sara lee pound cakes from the market. I need to try and make this for myself.
Barbara Bakes said…
I love pound cakes too! I haven't tried one with condensed milk, but it looks like a perfect pound cake. I'm going to give this one a try!
mmmmm pound cake! That loaf looks so amazing in all its golden glory!
Kathleen said…
Wow! Sounds easy and delicious. That's a perfect recipe in my book!
MaryMoh said…
With condensed milk....love it 100% :P No eggs & no sugar? That's nightmarish. I always have at least 10 extra eggs and 1 packet extra sugar at home. Can't take that risk :D
Coleens Recipes said…
It only takes one good snow storm to make me realize I forgot something on the grocery list. This cake looks very inviting!!
Monica H said…
I hate when I'm short on something. I usually send my husband to the store- he's good like that :-)

This looks great and sounds interesting. It's got sweetened condensed milk and made in a food processir. No wonder it was shouting at you!
I know how wonderfully moist and delicious this must have turned out! I have a cookbook that is nothing but desserts made with condensed milk and I have practically baked my way through it.

Now you know your hands are too tied without eggs and sugar!
Risa said…
I made a similar recipe (one of paula deene's) and I screwed it up so bad. The top was like a chewy candy but the inside was completely inedible
Unknown said…
Looks great! I have heard of pound cake made this way, but never tried it...You've encouraged me to give it a shot! Thanks Debbie!
Maria said…
I would love a slice:)
teresa said…
i've run out of eggs and sugar before, and it's always WHILE i'm making the treat that requires eggs and sugar, grrr.

this looks really good. i'm scared to make it because i know i'd eat the whole thing!
The Blonde Duck said…
I haven't had pound cake in so long...
megan said…
this looks so good! I've actually never made pound cake before...is this the recipe I should start with? Do you eat it by itself or serve it with something?
Jennifer said…
Interesting, I have never heard of it either, although now I must try it! YUM
Karine said…
I hate it when I run out of ingredients when I cook! I gets me very mad.

But your pound cake sounds delicious! :)
There's a little surprise on my blog for you Debbie. Check it out!
Emily said…
It's a beautiful cake! Perfectly golden.
NKP said…
Yum, I love a pound cake with tea.
We have had little snow this year (so far) which is great as we got pounded relentlessly the last two years.
Laurie said…
This recipe sounds wonderful. I love using sweetened condensed milk but never have enough recipes that call for it.. thanks for this one! I hope your weather warms up for you. I'm pretty much a light weight when it comes to the weather.. if it's even drizzling outside that's my excuse to stay indoors. :) And I ran out of olive oil last weekend.. I thought all my Italian ancestors were going to roll over in their graves!
Ingrid_3Bs said…
I'm low on everything and intend to run to Sam's to correct that problem! :)

I've yet to make a pound cake that I didn't like. I love them they can be dressed down and even better dressed up so many ways. I've got three recipes of your printed out now. I better get to baking! :)
~ingrid
Veronica M. said…
I'm excited about trying this recipe. The only pound cake I've ever made was not very pound-cakey. It was more like cake in a loaf form. I hope this is the dense texture I'm looking for--it sure looks like it. Thanks for sharing.
Veronica said…
I can not believe I've waited this long to return and follow up! I made this cake for the first time last September and without even tasting it, submitted it to our state fair for judging. It won third place! I finally got around to making one again so I could taste it for myself and will be diving in tomorrow. I already know it's good b/c it won a ribbon, but I can't wait to finally taste it. :) Thanks for sharing this recipe!