Country Pound Cake

I think it must have been about a month or so since I last made a pound cake and that is too long without making another one....quickly!  I guess you could call me a pound cake addict!  They are just so good and simple to make and I love trying new recipes for them all the time.  I found this recipe here. I made a few changes.  I did not use wax paper to line the pan.  No problem getting the cake out.  I used a baking spray with flour.  I also set out all  my cold ingredients for about an hour so they were all at room temperature.  You can also remove the cake from pan after 10 minutes which is also different from the original recipe.  I used my wonderful Kitchen Aid stand mixer for this.  Oh that comes in so handy when you have to beat the butter and sugar for 10 minutes!
What I really love about this recipe is that you bake the cake in what's called a cold over.  Don't preheat!  When baking a pound cake this way you don't get a hard crust.  You get a soft moist one. Sooo good!  I think you will love this recipe if you are a pound cake fan like I am!

3 cups all purpose flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
2 2/3 cups sugar
5 eggs
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp lemon extract

Do not preheat oven.  Grease a 10 in tube or Bundt pan. (I used baking spray with flour).
Sift together all dry ingredients together in large bowl.  Set aside.
In a large bowl or stand mixer beat together butter, shortening and sugar for 10 minutes.
Add eggs one at a time making sure they are well incorporated after each addition.
Alternately beat in flour mixture and milk, mixing well.
Add vanilla and lemon extract.

Pour batter into prepared pan.  Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour and 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean.  Let cool on rack for 10 minutes before removing and let cool completely.

Comments

Joanne said…
Pound cakes are just SO good...and totally underrated! I'll have to try this cold bake method of cooking!