Cranberry Banana Muffins (vegan)

Happy New Year everyone!  Hope you all had a wonderful holiday.  I spent part of the holidays with family in Virginia and part of it on Long Island.  I also spent 9 hours on I-95 driving to NY and plan on flying next time.  Haven't flown in decades (seriously) but it's now or never to get over this fear.  Traffic will definitely help you conquer a fear of flying!!!

I had a bag of cranberries that I just had to do something with so when I spotted this recipe I knew I would give it a try.   It's also vegan, so that is just perfect for me!!!  These are really delicious and very moist.  The cranberries lend just enough tartness to the muffin. Perfect - really...they are THAT good.  Here is where I found the recipe.

1 1/2 cups white sugar, divided
1 cup water
2 cups fresh cranberries
3 ripe bananas
1/4 cup vegetable oil (you can also use melted coconut oil)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Preheat the oven to 360 degrees F.
Pour 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of water into a small saucepan and bring to a boil.  Add the cranberries and simmer until they start to pop - about 5-7 minutes.  Remove pan from stove top and drain the liquid and set cranberries aside.
In a medium bowl combine bananas, oil and brown sugar and 1/2 cup remaining white sugar.  Beat together with a mixer.
In a separate, larger bowl, combine both flours, baking soda and salt.
Pour the banana mixture

into the dry ingredients and beat with a mixer until smooth.  Do not overmix.  A minute or a little less will be enough.  Gently fold in the cranberries.
Put cupcake liners in muffin pan and fill each liner 2/3 with batter.  Bake for approximately 25 minutes.  Mine were done in about 23 minutes.  Use toothpick to check when they are done.

Comments

Joanne said…
I-95 is THE WORST. I don't think I've ever been on it without major traffic. Definitely fly next time! I love love love these muffins! The cranberries in every bite must be so good.
Emily said…
Happy New Year! You should definitely fly next time! I hope you will be on one of my flights. These muffins sound amazing. I wish I had baked more with cranberries this year.
Mihl said…
Happy new year to you, too! We can buy fresh cranberries straight from the US right now and I usually buy a package, freeze it and forget about it. This would be perfect to use up my leftovers. We spent a lot of time driving for the holidays, too and it was terrible.
Cathleen said…
These muffins look amazing! I have been looking for recipes to make with my bananas :)
Pam said…
Great combination of flavors. I love banana and cranberries!