Old Fashioned Pound Cake

If you have been following my blog for any length of time you will have noticed that not only do I love banana bread but I love pound cake. Love trying different pound cake recipes and I have quite a few on this blog.  I came across this one in my old faithful cookbook....."The Doubleday Cookbook."  This was published back in 1975 and was the first cookbook I owned and it is still  my favorite.  These recipes have  never let me down.  Some may be dated but they are always good.  If any of you collect old cookbooks you may want to add this one to your collection.  They can be found in old bookstores, antique shops and used ones can also be found on Ebay.  The original comes in a set of 2 but back in the early 90's they were condensed into one.

This is definitely an old fashioned pound cake and made differently than any I've made before.  It's a little extra work since you have to whip up the egg whites separately but worth it.  That is what attracted me to this recipe.  I like ones that are different...that have a twist in them.  If you make this I would suggest you expect this to be a bit drier than your usual pound cake.  It also uses cake flour so you will have a very dense, tight crumb.  I loved it.  My husband likes cakes that are moist so he thought this would be great with ice cream on it or for strawberry shortcakes....I love it just as it is with a big cup of coffee. Oh how perfect!

Do not substitute any of these ingredients.

2 1/4 cups sifted cake flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1 cup butter, softened to room temperature
1 cup sugar
5 eggs, separated
1 tsp vanilla or orange extract or 1 Tbs finely grated lemon rind

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Spray bottom and sides of 9 x 5 x 3 inch pan.  Sift flour, salt and nutmeg together and set aside.  Cream butter until light, then add sugar slowly, creaming until fluffy.  Beat
egg yolks until thick and light, add to butter mixture, a little at a time, beating well after each addition.  Blend flour in gradually, then mix in vanilla and beat JUST until smooth.  Beat egg whites until soft peaks form  and fold gently into batter.  Spoon into pan and bake 65 - 70 minutes until cake pulls slightly from sides of pan.  Cool upright in pan on a wire cake rack 30 minutes. (I cooled mine for 10 minutes only and it turned out fine.)  Cool thoroughly before slicing.  (I wrapped mine up in plastic wrap, then with foil while still warm and sliced this the following day. It was great that way.)



Comments

Joanne said…
So rich and delicious! Pound cake is so simple but so good.
Pam said…
It looks perfectly delicious!
Pound cake is a great go-to recipe!
Unknown said…
Wow, Looks rich and delicious, thanks for sharing your recipe:)
Jennifer said…
Wow that looks amazing I wish I had cake flour!
Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
My Inner Chick said…
Debbie,
I love pound cake.
I love ALL cake.
xxx this looks DELISH.
Emily said…
Yum. That's one good looking pound cake. I would love to try this with lemon sometime.