Apple Crisp Cheesecake - Vegan

Can anyone tell me where summer has gone?  Are we really almost in the 2nd week of August?  Summer goes way too quick for me. I want summer all year long. I want the beach all year long.  I haven't been to the beach nearly enough the summer.  And we even have a beach house.  How is that for crazy shit!  I WILL get there come  hell or high water for another  long weekend this summer!  I want to live there year round. Mind you, we are still talking Virginia here so it does get cold in the winter, but growing up on Long Island has made me wanting water around me all the time.  It's hard to live in a state where a weekend trip is required to be near water. It's not just 20 minutes away like I was used to growing up. If you have lived near the beach you just NEVER get used to not having it at your fingertips.  Now on with the recipe....

This is a cheesecake. A vegan one no less.  There is no cheese in this or eggs.  You can buy these non dairy items in a local grocery store, at least one that is decent.  For whatever reason vegan cream cheese is not always easy to find but our local Wegman's carries it.  Well, Wegman's carries everything, which is one of many reasons I love that store. The main reason I love Wegman's is because they carry rainbow cookies.  The NY kind.....oh God are they good. My favorite cookie. Moving right along now....this cheesecake is extremely good.  Good stuff. Especially good because it is also easy to make.  I would make it again.  Perfect autumn dessert.  Something different bedsides the usual apple pie.  The original recipe came from here.  Now go ahead and enjoy the rest of what is left of summer!!!!

1 Cup Graham Cracker crumbs
3/4 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup melted Earth Balance
2 8 oz. containers of vegan cream cheese
2 Tbs. cornstarch
2 Tbs. water
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. ginger
2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
2 Tbs. melted Earth Balance
1 large apple - peeled and thinly sliced

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.

In a food processor, blend together the Graham Cracker crumbs, 3/4 cup rolled oats and 1/4 cup brown sugar until well mixed and powdery.  After you've melted your 1/2 cup Earth Balance pour it into the crust mixture and process until well combined.  Pour into a pie pan or springform pan and press down firmly and form the crust along the edges of the pan.  I use the bottom of drinking glass to even the bottom of crust.

In a small bowl whisk together the cornstarch and water.  In your food processor, blend together the cream cheese, 1/2 cup brown sugar
, 1/4 cup white sugar, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/8 tsp ginger and 2 tsp of vanilla.  Then add your cornstarch.  Once well combined, pour on top of your Graham Cracker/oat crust.

Mix together your 1/4 cup all purpose flour, 1/4 cup rolled oats, 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1/2 tsp cinnamon until well combined.  Stir in the 2 tbs melted Earth Balance.

Arrange the thinly sliced apple on top of the cheesecake in a single layer.  Top with the Apple Crisp Topping.  Bake at 350 degrees F for 40-50 minutes.  Allow to set overnight.

I kept mine in the fridge and took out a slice and let it sit out for about an hour.  This tastes best at room temperature.


Comments

Joanne said…
I'm so impressed with your vegan cheesecake! It looks awesome and I swear I wouldn't have known the difference!
Unknown said…
Two awesome things combined into one, great dessert recipe!