Fresh Strawberry Cake and Happy 4th of July!!!

Is it 4th of July already?  That means that we are really into summer and it is beach time.  And I have to tell you that I cannot wait to hit the beach this year. Sand, sun and saltwater all sound good to me.

In the meantime I hope you all have a great holiday weekend.  I baked this delicious cake a while back and I am an absolute sucker for recipes that use cake mixes or add jello mixes.  I do not snub my nose at those recipes...I embrace them.  To me they are fun and easy and foolproof!!!  Like my dad's expression "always a winner" are what those recipes are to me!!!

I'll be back next week with some wonderful lemon cheesecake fruit tarts that I've made for the holiday.  In the meantime hope you all enjoy this recipe it you try it!

Fresh Strawberry Cake from The Country Cook

One box vanilla, white or yellow cake mix
1 (3 oz) box strawberry gelatin (Jello)
4 eggs
1 cup of vegetable oil
1/4 cup water
1 pint of fresh strawberries (either diced up or crushed)


Icing

1/2 block of cream cheese (4 oz)
1/3 cup butter (softened)
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Spray a 9 x 13 inch pan with baking spray.
In the meantime chop up and dice your strawberries.  I used a potato masher to really crush up the strawberries.  That worked pretty well.
In a large bowl, combine cake mix and jello powder.  Mix this together well.
Stir in your eggs and oil and water.
Add your cup crushed strawberries.  Mix this part by hand.
Pour the batter into your baking pan and bake for approximately 30 minutes.  Check with a toothpick in the center of the cake and make sure it comes out clean.  Completely cook cake before frosting.

To Frost:

With an electric mixer,  mix together softened cream cheese and butter.  Make sure it is smooth and creamy.
Add vanilla. Add powdered sugar slowly and add milk as needed.  This should also be smooth and creamy.  If you have any leftover strawberries you might want to add them to the frosting.  It certainly can't hurt!
Frost cake and enjoy.  Such a pretty cake!




Comments

This strawberry cake looks so so gorgeous and super spongy!!
Jennifer said…
I love it, I tried to make one with a cake mix and diced berries, it turned out like crap. I will give this one a try next time!
Joanne said…
Love the color you got in the cake! So pretty and pink!
My Inner Chick said…
OOO, yes,
this looks utterly moist and delish! mmmmmmm