Cannellini Bean Kale Sausage Stew

This is such a great recipe that I couldn't wait to share.  It's so delicious and good for you. It's very hearty especially if you have this with some bread.  You won't need anything else to add to this meal. I was pretty full after finishing off a bowl of this.  This is cooked in a slow cooker and you can play with the ingredients or add some additional ones.  I found the recipe over at use real butter which also happens to be one of my favorite blogs.  I didn't use as many tomatoes as the original recipe calls for and added a red pepper for some extra flavor. 

We've had some great weather here the past weekend and I just wish it would last for at least a few more days but I don't think so. I'm not complaining though.  I'll take as many nice warm and sunny days as I can get!

2 Tbs. olive oil

1 lb sausage (I used sweet Italian)

1 can (14.5 oz) petite diced tomatoes

2 cans (15 oz.) cannellini beans, drained

1 large tomato (chopped)

1 large pepper (chopped)

2 T minced garlic

1 tsp. dried basil

1 tsp. dried oregano

1/2 tsp. ground fennel

1 1/4 cup chicken stock

4 cups chopped kale leaves  (I used much more than this)

freshly-grated Parmesan cheese, for serving (optional)

Instructions:

Heat the oil in a large heavy frying pan, add sausages, with casings removed and cook until browned.

While sausage cooks, dump the two cans of cannellini beans into a colander placed in the sink and rinse well with cold water (until no more foam appears.) Let beans drain well.

Put sausage, drained beans, tomatoes with juice, garlic, dried basil, dried oregano, ground fennel, and chicken stock into the slow cooker and stir gently. Let cook for about 2 1/2 hours on high or 5 hours on low.

Add kale to pot to cook for the last 1/2 hour.  Serve with some parmesan cheese, if desired.















Comments

StephenC said…
This is the kind of one-dish meal I really enjoy making.
Joanne said…
With all these great ingredients I know this must be amazing!
teresa said…
it's so cold here right now, this looks like the perfect thing!
My Inner Chick said…
Debbie,
this looks like AWESOME comfort food. My Goodnessssss! I love. Xx