Coconut Buttermilk Pound Cake

The name of this pound cake alone made me want to try it.  It's from Martha Stewart's Everyday Food magazine.  There were several recipes in the latest issue that used buttermilk so I was able to use up the whole quart.  Many times I've bought something needed for a recipe only to have that ingredient sit there and go to waste. Not this time though. 

I highly recommend trying this pound cake.  Pound cakes are one of my favorites and relatively easy to make.  This one is no exception.  The only thing I did differently was use a 9x5 inch baking pan instead the smaller one this recipe stated.  I've made several cakes where the recipe calls for a smaller baking pan and then when I look at the batter I think "no way."  I don't know why that is since I follow the recipe.  Oh well, if you make this I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.  It's not "kid friendly" here though, since my son is not a fan of coconut!


Toast coconut in a 350 F degree oven for 5 to 10 minutes and stir often and watch carefully.

1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk, divided
1 1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut, toasted, divided
1 cup confectioners' sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Butter and flour a 4 1/2 by 8 1/2 inch loaf pan (I used 9 by 5).  Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.  In a large bowl, using a mixer, beat butter and sugar on medium high until light and fluffy, 8 minutes, scraping down bowl as needed.  Add vanilla, then eggs, one at a time, beating well and scraping down bowl.  With mixer on low, add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with two 1/2 cup additions buttermilk, and beat until combined.  With a rubber spatula, fold in 1 1/4 cups coconut. 


Transfer batter to pan and bake until skewer inserted in center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, 60 minutes.  Let cool in pan on wire rack for one hour.  (I removed from pan after 15 minutes and cooled on rack). 

Whisk together confectioners' sugar and remaining 2 tablespoons buttermilk.  Drizzle over cake and sprinkle with remainomg 1/4 cup coconut.

Comments

Mal said…
This sounds and looks sensational!

Have a lovely weekend!

Mal @ The Chic Geek
StephenC said…
Lately I'm been increasingly tempted to bake a cake or cookies. I would use unsweetened coconut and Splenda in place of the sugar, and I think I'd like it.
Velva said…
This is no doubt a delicious pound cake.

I have learned that you can freeze buttermilk. I know it is one of my baking ingredients, that I typically use a small amount and then it sits. So I was delighted to learn that it can be frozen.

Cheers.
Velva
teresa said…
oh i just love all of that coconut dripping off the side. my daughter isn't a fan either, so unfortunately i'm going to have to make this beauty all for myself :)
Blond Duck said…
Coconut and pound cake? Bliss!
Joanne said…
I seem to constantly have buttermilk around to use up and this cake sounds perfect! The flavors in it are quite addictive.
this looks wonderful and so soft
Judy said…
I am a huge coconut fan, and I must say this looks fabulous! Will be trying it.
Unknown said…
Oh my, that does look amazingly good! I adore pound cake and I adore buttermilk pound cake even more!!
My Inner Chick said…
Ooo-my!
I am drooling.

LOVE coconut! Xx