Buttermilk Chocolate Frosting








I've have found many ways to use up buttermilk and this frosting is perfect for just that!  My favorite frosting has always been marshmallow creme.  I just don't think you can beat that on chocolate cake. But that is just my preference.  This is probably second best....it is really good as long as you don't want a sweet frosting.  This is pure chocolate with a bit of a tang to it from the buttermilk.  I would imagine that you could use less if you wanted less of a tang or more.  You can't really taste the buttermilk only a very slight hint of it.  Here is the basic recipe for it and by all means just adjust to your own taste for thicker or sweeter frosting!  I think it's great!     Buttermilk Chocolate Frosting

1/2 cup butter

2 oz unsweetened chocolate

1/4 cup cocoa powder

2 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar, divided

5 tbsp buttermilk

1 tsp vanilla extract

1/4 tsp salt

In a small, microwave safe bowl, melt together butter and unsweetened chocolate. Heat in 30-45 second intervals, stirring frequently, until mixture is smooth. Cool for about 5 minutes, or until mixture is close to room temperature.

Transfer butter mixture to a larger bowl. Beat in cocoa powder, 2 cups confectioners sugar, buttermilk, vanilla and salt, beating until frosting is smooth and slightly fluffy. Add additional confectioners’ sugar to thicken, if needed. Frosting should be at room temperature before using.

From BakingBites.



 

Comments

Blond Duck said…
I love that this icing doesn't have shortening!
I have made this before and love it! Your cake looks delish.
teresa said…
mmm, this looks so good!
Joanne said…
I'm imagining that the tanginess of the buttermilk makes this extra delicious!
My Inner Chick said…
Debbie,
this looks DEeeeelish.

I will be making it for my next cake.

thanks Xxx