Apple Fritter Cake

I've made this cake twice since I discovered it on Pinterest and plan on making it many more times.  The name really intrigued me but personally I don't think it tastes like apple fritters....more of a coffee, streusel type cake.  It is sooo good.  It's very moist and it's best eaten within a day or two while it's very fresh.  It definitely reminded me of the first cake I ever  made when I must have been around 12.  That one however, came out of a box!  It had the mix in a bag, the topping in a bag and the apples in a little can.  It was so easy to make.  And good...and I made it many, many times. 

This area of Virginia managed to survive Hurricane Sandy without any extensive damage.  However,  New Jersey and New York did not. I grew up on Long Island and lived there until I was 22.  Then I lived for quite a few years in Bayonne, New Jersey.  I just hate seeing those pictures of the New Jersey shore with everything just wiped away and what's left in shambles.  It is heartbreaking.  Beautiful Seaside Heights....seeing the roller coaster in the ocean.  Whoever would have thought that could happen?  When I lived up there flooding from hurricanes never crossed anyone's mind. But now?  Very different.  As far as Manhattan and Long Island, it's just a nightmare and my heart goes out to everyone there.  I guess it proves once again, that you cannot take anything or anyone for granted.

Apple Fritter Cake

from Nerdy Baker (my changes are in parenthesis)

Ingredients

For Filling

1 heaping cup of sliced apples, (I used 2 heaping cups)

1/3 cup sugar

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

small pinch freshly grated nutmeg

2 tablespoons cornstarch (I used 1 heaping tablespoon)

2 teaspoons water (I used at least 5 tablespoons)

Plus

1/2 cup brown sugar (I used a 1/4 cup each of dark and light)

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

For Cake:

1/3 cup butter

3/4 cup sugar

1/2 cup applesauce

1 teaspoon vanilla

2 eggs

2 1/4 cups flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1 cup greek yogurt (you could use plain yogurt as well or sour cream)

For Glaze:

2 cups powdered sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla

6 tablespoons milk

Method

For filling: Make your filling by combining apples, sugar, water, cinnamon and cornstarch in a small saucepan. Cook on low heat for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring constantly until the sauce is thickend and the apples are a bit soft. Set aside to cool. In a small bowl, mix the brown sugar and cinnamon together until well combined and set aside.

For Cake: Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 9×13 baking dish. Set aside.

Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add applesauce and vanilla and mix till combined. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.

Sift the dry ingredients together. Add the dry ingredients to the batter in three parts alternating with the yogurt in two parts, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Beat until just combined.

Spoon half of the batter into the prepared pan. Spoon the cooled apple mixture over the batter carefully and spread as evenly as possible. Sprinkle 2/3 of brown sugar cinnamon mixture over apples and cover with the rest of the batter. Sprinkle the rest of the brown sugar cinnamon mixture over the top.

Bake for 45-55 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.

For Glaze: While the cake is baking, make the glaze. In a bowl, mix the powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk until the glaze is desired consistency. When the cake comes out of the oven, immediately but carefully pour onto hot cake.

Comments

Joanne said…
All that has happened is just crazy and I'm starting to worry now if hurricanes are just going to become part of the weather norm for us. Hmm. LOVE the sound of this cake! Heavenly,.
Anonymous said…
Glad you liked the cake and I am glad your area made it through without much damage.
teresa said…
it really was a destructive hurricane, so sad.

i started drooling the minute i saw this cake!