Banana Cake with Chocolate Frosting

This recipe comes from Taste of Home's latest issue.  To be honest here, I could just eat the frosting by itself. It is very, very good. The cake is good too, especially if you are like me and love all things bananas!  Wish I could say the same thing about Taste of Home. I used to love their magazine years back and have so many of the old issues.  The new look and style I don't care for.  The older issues were just crammed full of recipes which have now been replaced with advertisements and to me, silly articles. I'm not interested in what is in Miranda Lambert's pantry...only interested in what is in my own. Not interested in reading any type of articles either. I want recipes....if I want to read anything else then I will buy that type of magazine and so on. 

We're still on spring break here and the weather has been wonderful.  Looking forward to breaking out all my spring and summer things and packing away all the old winter ones.  Have a great Easter everyone.....and enjoy all the chocolate...I know I will!!!

3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (2 to 3 large)
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
3/4 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup chopped unsalted pistachios (I omitted these)

Cream Cheese Frosting (this makes quite a bit of frosting)

2 containers (8 oz. each) whipped cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup baking cocoa
4 1/2 cups confectioners sugar (I used a little less)
2 tsp. vanilla extract

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Beat in bananas and vanilla.  Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt;  add to the creamed mixture alternately with the buttermilk, beating well after each addition.  Fold in 3/4 cup pistachios (if using).

Transfer to two greased and floured 8-in. round baking pans. (I used 9-inch).  Bake at 350 degrees F for 45-55 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.  Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.

For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth.  Add cocoa; mix until blended.  Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until creamy.
Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread top with 1 cup frosting.  Top with remaining cake.  Spread top and sides with 2 cups frosting.  Press pistachios into sides of cake if desired.  Refrigerate at least 1 hour or until frosting is set.




Comments

Shoutforfood said…
Your recipe sounds so much more flavorful!!
Aarthi said…
cake looks so soft
Mal said…
This looks so delicious, I love banana and chocolate together

Mal @ The Chic Geek
Unknown said…
Funny, when I first clicked on your blog and saw the title of your post, I immediate thought.. MMMMMM, chocolate frosting!!! :) I'm sure I could eat just the frosting too! It looks DEEEE-licious!!

And I agree, I wish that Taste of Home was more recipes like it used to be.. guess we can't have it all, can we? :)
......and where is mine?
CA said…
Debbie, I couldn't agree more about Taste of Home. Used to love their magazines--esp. Quick Cooking. I only get TOH now and have been telling myself for months that as soon as my subscription runs out I will not renew. Dont like the new format at all. Used to be such a great magazine.
Joanne said…
I've never subscribed to Taste of Home but I feel similarly about Bon Appetit now that it has a new editor. Definitely not as many recipes and therefore not as good! This banana cake does sound fabulous, though!
Michael said…
This looks heavenly. I agree about TOH. I've actually been a field editor for over a year, and have felt that they have really lost the feel for why people subscribed. Now if you want something from TOH full of recipes, you have to buy their cookbooks or the jumbo magazines at checkouts for $10. Boo.
Monica H said…
That frosting looks dreamy! I'm surprised the recipe calls for whipped cream cheese instead of the usual brick style. I'll have to try it as I LOVE chocolate cream cheese frosting!
Blond Duck said…
Love cream cheese frosting!
Ola said…
the frosting does look delicious!

Life and travelling
Cooking