Butterscotch Pudding Cake

This recipe comes courtesy of Sandra Lee.  I don't care for many of her recipes but this one I do enjoy.  Delicious and easy.  I would imagine you could play around with the pudding mix and chips and substitute different flavors.  Very simple and kid friendly!

We are having great weather here lately. It is going to be 78 today and hitting 80 the next two days.  I think we will all be spoiled by this weather and not want it to cool down at all.  I know that I would love it to stay like this.  The older I get, the warmer I like it!

2 cups milk
1 box (3.4-ounce) instant butterscotch pudding and pie filling mix
1 box (18.25-ounce) German chocolate cake mix
1 cup water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups butterscotch chips
1/4 cup shredded carrot
Vanillla ice cream or whipped cream frosting  (1 cup heavy cream whipped till stiff peaks form)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Spray a 9x13-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray; set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes; let stand for 3 minutes until thick.

In a large bowl, beat cake mix, water, oil and eggs with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds.  Scrape down sides of bowl; beat for 2 minutes on medium speed.  Stir in butterscotch chips and carrot.  Pour batter into prepared dish.  Pour pudding over batter; spread evenly.

Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.  Serve cake warm with ice cream or cool completely and frost with a whipped cream frosting.

Comments

Katy ~ said…
This looks like a big home run to me! Total yumminess!
Coleens Recipes said…
This looks tasty. I'm with you, I don't care for many of her recipes (mostly because they would be so pricey to make on a regular basis) but I sure do enjoy her show. I think its because she is so up-beat.
Dianne said…
Awesome cake! but why you dont have the whole picture ? anyways good thanks for sharing your recipe. added to my list :)
Unknown said…
I could eat that whole cake.. easily! I adore butterscotch and do not make enough things with it. Must change that soon!
Joanne said…
Even though most of Sandra Lee's recipes are god-awful...there are a few successes in the mix. This looks amazing!
teresa said…
delicious! i want to gobble this up!
Pam said…
This cake looks heavenly!