Chocolate Cream Pie I

Hope everyone had a nice new years.  Virginia had some really nice weather this past weekend. In the 60's in some areas. Of course now it's bitter cold but it was nice while it lasted. I'm not complaining though. So far we've had no snow but  then what does that mean. It's only the beginning the of January. But I can certainly hope that it will bypass us this year!  I'm starting off the new year with a recipe I made about a month or so ago and have been meaning to blog. This is one. good. chocolate. pie.  VERY good.....in fact, I made it twice in one week.  Considering that many of us may have gained a few unwanted pounds over the holidays, this may not have been a good choice to post right now!  However, I didn't want this to get buried in my stack of recipes "to post" so I figured now or never.  Besides it IS chocolate....and its always OK to post a chocolate recipe in my book!  This comes courtesy of allrecipes.

3/4 cup white sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups milk (I used 2%)
2 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate
3 egg yolks
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (9 inch) pie shell, baked

Combine sugar, flour, milk and chopped up chocolate in 2 quart saucepan.  Stirring constantly, cook over medium heat until mixture begins to bubble.  Continue stirring for 2 minutes.
Mix a little of the hot mixture into the egg yolks, beating rapidly to avoid cooking the yolks.  Stir in the warm yolk mixture into the remainder of the chocolate mixture and cook for an additional 90 seconds.  Remove from heat and stir in butter or margarine and vanilla.
Pour filling into pie shell and chill until set.  (Make sure to cover pie with plastic wrap on surface of pie so a skin does not form).  Top with whipped cream topping and a little grated chocolate.



Comments

Mal said…
Yum, this looks wonderful

http://chicgeekery.blogspot.com/
Leslie said…
Chocolate pie must be sent from heaven!!!! Happy New Year
Lara said…
Twice in one week? sounds like a great endorsement to me! Hope you're staying warm in this cold!
There's always room for chocolate, and your pie looks wonderful Debbie. If you made it twice in one week it has to be delicious. thanks!
Unknown said…
It was gorgeous here over the past week too.. in the 80's even!! I love the desert this time of year :)

Chocolate cream pie is my absolute favorite pie.. how could you not love such creamy chocolate goodness???
The Blonde Duck said…
Who doesn't love chocolate cream pie?
Pam said…
Yum! It looks so delicious. Happy New Year.
Joanne said…
My mom makes a chocolate pudding pie from JELLO mixes every year at Thanksgiving that NEEDS to be replaced. I believe I'll be inserting this into the rotation instead! Looks divine!
Bunny said…
This looks Terrific Debbie! Having moved from Pennsylvania to Kentucky recently I'm really enjoying the milder winter weather in KY. My brother lives in Richmond Va., we talk everyday.
teresa said…
mmm, all i'd need is that pie and a fork!
The Blonde Duck said…
I hope you have a great weekend!
My Inner Chick said…
---I could eat the "WHOLE THING!!!"

Yummmmmy. xx
Monica H said…
"its always OK to post a chocolate recipe" ooh, for sure! and this looks amazing. I just love chocolate cream pie.