Shrimp Cocktail ChristmasTree

I was going to post another "starter" cookie recipe but remembered I had been wanting to post this since Christmas and New Year's are right around the corner and I thought some of you out there might be interested in making this.  My husband had worked for 20 years in the catering business and can make a mean watermelon basket - turns out he can also be creative using shrimp!  This caught his eye in a magazine and he decided to give it a go.  It is soooo festive and pretty and the bonus is that it uses shrimp and is delicious!!!  You use a stryofoam cone that you can buy in your local arts and crafts store.  Listed below are what you will need for the tree and instructions.  I'll be back again next week with more "starter" cookie recipes!

1 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup creamy horseradish sauce
1/4 cup minced red onion
3 Tbs. lemon juice
1/2 yellow pepper
12" tall Styrofoam cone
Round wooden toothpicks, broken in half
2 lbs. cooked extra large shrimp, peeled, tails left on
1 1/2 cups red and/or yellow grape tomatoes
1 cup fresh basil leaves (or parsley)

Mix mayonnaise , horseradish sauce, onion and lemon juice; cover and reserve.  Using 2" star-shaped cookie cutter, cut star from pepper; cover and reserve.

Wrap cone with plastic wrap; place on serving plate.  Insert 1 toothpick piece into each shrimp; insert into cone.  Repeat with tomatoes.  Tuck basil (or parsley) leaves in between shrimp and tomatoes.  Serve with dip.  You can also place tree on top of bed of lettuce and surround with lemon wedges.



Comments

This is such a cute creative idea for the holidays. Love it!
Coleens Recipes said…
That is quite a show stopper!!!
Unknown said…
Oh, wow, that looks fantastic! Very creative!
Joanne said…
Whoa what a crazy awesome presentation! I would almost not want to eat it, it's so pretty!
Elpiniki said…
So beautiful!
Nice finding you!
Visit me at: my-greek-cooking.blogspot.com
Emily said…
Hahah I love this! So awesome. This would be a good gift for my parents.
Monica H said…
this is too fun. I love it!