Linzer Cookie Tarts

This is another Betty Crocker "starter" recipe.  I thought I would post a bunch of these recipes until Christmas for those of you out there that would like something about as close as you can get to a "from scratch" cookie that just doesn't take that much time or effort.  These are really good and I've made several varieties of these "starter" cookies.  I think this one is my favorite!  These really taste like true linzer cookies. No one would ever know these were started from a mix, believe me!

1 pouch (1 lb 1.5 oz) Betty Crocker sugar cookie mix
1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted, finely chopped
1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 egg
2/3 cup seedless raspberry jam
1/3 cup dark of semisweet chocolate chips
*Powdered sugar, if desired

Heat oven to 375 degrees F.  In large bowl, stir together cookie mix and almonds.  Stir in melted butter, almond extract and egg until stiff dough forms.

On floured surface, roll half of dough to 1/4-inch thickness.  Cut with 2-inch round or fluted cookie cutter.  On ungreased cookies sheets, place cookies 2 inches apart.

Bake 7 to 9 minutes or until set.  Cool 5 minutes;  remove from cookie sheets to cooling racks.  Cool completely.

Meanwhile, on floured surface, roll other half of dough to 1/4-inch thickness.  Cut with linzer cutter with hole in center, OR cut same 2-inch round or fluted cookie cutter and use small 1-inch cutter or bottle top to cut round hole out of center of cookie.  On ungreased cookie sheets, place cookies 2 inches apart.

Bake 7 to 9 minutes or until set.  Cool 5 minutes; remove from cookie sheets to cooling racks.  Cool completely.

Spread 1 teaspoon jam on bottom of each whole cookie;  top each with cutout cookie to make sandwich cookie.  In small microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate chips uncovered on High about 1 minutes, stirring after 30 seconds, until melted and stirred smooth.  Using tip of fork or knife, drizzle chocolate lines over cookies.  Let stand until chocolate is set, about 45 minutes.  Store between sheets of waxed paper in tightly covered container.

*You can also just sift some powdered sugar over cookies instead of drizzling chocolate, if you prefer.

Comments

I love these! Not only are they pretty but they taste wonderful. I really like this easier recipe.
Lara said…
It's hard to believe these started from a mix. They are gorgeous!
Joanne said…
Linzers are some of my favorites! I love how these are easier with the cookie mix. Yum!
Cassie said…
What beautiful cookies! I love that they start with a mix. I also love the combination of raspberry and almond...always a winner in my book!
Pam said…
They look so pretty and delicious - I am afraid I couldn't eat just one!

Glad you like the apron!
Unknown said…
I know some people put their nose up to "starter" cookies, cakes, etc.. but I love them. The ease is what keeps me coming back! They look fantastic, Deb!