Coconut Fudge Cookies

This will probably be my last post before Christmas for the "starter" cookies.  The original recipe from Betty Crocker calls for using a butterscotch topping and hot fudge topping but I used melted down chocolate chips instead. I omitted the butterscotch completely since I'm not a big fan of it.  These are definitely for coconut lovers out there.  I will be baking more Christmas cookies today but don't think I will have any more time to post them so I may be posting more cookies after the holidays.  Enjoy these cookies!

1 pouch (1 lb 1.5 oz) Betty Crocker sugar cookie mix
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 egg
1 to 1 1/2 cups flaked coconut
3/4 cup hot fudge topping or (1 cup chocolate chips, melted)

Heat oven to 375 degrees F.  In large bowl, stir cookie mix, melted butter and egg until soft dough forms.  Shape dough into 1-inch balls.  Roll balls in coconut.  On ungreased cookie sheets, place balls 2 inches apart.
Bake 9 to 11 minutes or until edges are light golden brown and coconut starts to toast.  Cool 3 minutes; remove from cookie sheets to waxed paper.
In small microwavable bowl, microwave hot fudge (or chocolate chips) uncovered on high 15 to 30 seconds or until spreadable.  If using chips, microwave for 30 seconds and stir and keep microwaving at 30 second intervals and stirring until chips are melted and spreadable.
Carefully spread on top of each cookie.  Serve warm or cool.  Store loosely covered.

Makes about 2 1/2 dozen cookies.

Comments

Scotkat said…
This looks so good.

Must try this recipe over the holidays.
Happy Christmas
Lara said…
I'm loving that chocolate-coconut combination. These look amazing! Merry Christmas!
Joanne said…
I'm a SERIOUS coconut lover. Combine that with chocolate and I'm pretty much in heaven! These sound great!