Uncle Bob's Fresh Apple Cake




Well we had a great time at the apple festival at Graves Mountain this year. We thought it would be a little on the cool side since we would be in the mountains but it was so warm that we were sweating!!! Had a great lunch of fried chicken, mashed potatoes, apple cake and apple donuts for dessert and even found some neat things from the crafters. The mountains are just so beautiful this time of year.


Before I move on to the this recipe, let me just clear up something. I'm not an authority on any type of food nor its origins. I had a recent comment from someone regarding my Swedish Apple Pie that "they didn't want to ruin" it for me but my pie was not a Swedish apple pie, etc, etc, etc.......That recipe originated from Allrecipes and I just copied what they wrote. People, I'm a home cook and baker and I'm just trying to have a bit of fun here on my blog and maybe learn how to become a halfway decent baker.....I don't expect people to do anything more than read my blog and on a lucky day maybe someone will like one of my recipes and try it. That's it.


This recipe is once again from my husband. He baked this to bring to our church's apple festival which was also this past weekend. Delicious and full of flavor and perfect with some ice cream on top. Of course, it's from his girlfriend, Paula Deen! I'd be in trouble if she lived close by. Hope you all enjoy it....


Honey Glaze:


1 cup confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons milk

Apple Cake:
3 cups diced Granny Smith apples, about 2 large apples
1 cup lightly toasted chopped walnuts
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups sugar
1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
3 eggs

Glaze: Add all the ingredients to a small bowl and stir until smooth. Set the bowl aside.

Cake: Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly grease a Bundt pan or tube pan.


In a bowl, mix together the apples, walnuts, vanilla and cinnamon. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda and salt.


Using an electric mixer beat the sugar, oil and eggs in a large bowl. Add the dry ingredients and beat until completely combined. Fold in the apple mixture.


Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until a tester inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.


Allow the cake to fully cool in the pan, about 1 hour, and then turn it out onto a plate.


Drizzle the apple cake with some of the honey glaze, serve and enjoy!


Note: This cake can be wrapped tightly and stored in refrigerator for 3 to 5 days

Comments

Lara said…
I'm sorry to say, but in order to qualify as Uncle Bob's Apple Cake, you have to have 2.14 apples in the recipe. Two apples makes it more like Aunt Jen's Apple Cake.

Haha. I hope I made you laugh a little. I love your blog. Love your recipes and love that you're from my neck of the woods! This apple cake looks delicious!
Ingrid_3Bs said…
Ah, Debbie! Ignore them! This looks awesome...definitely one that my kids would love! Paula Deen rocks doesn't she? Btw, I so wish my honey would whip up something sweet in the kitchen!
~ingrid
People are funny, right? Love this seasonal apple cake.
Coleens Recipes said…
YUM!! I'll bet this smells wonderful when it's baking.
Unknown said…
Swedish or not, that pie looked incredible...just like this cake! I think you are doing a wonderful job Deb! I, for one, love visiting your blog and love that you are just a home cook like me!!
Joanne said…
I love just about anything apple-infused and this looks quite delicious with that honey glaze!
The Blonde Duck said…
That sounds so good! And I love your Swedish Apple Pie!
La Bella Cooks said…
Ha ha! The glaze looks fabulous but the ingredients in the cake are perfection. I want to make this!
Pam said…
Can I have a slice please? Pretty please?
Unknown said…
Hi,

The apple cake is OMG...so yumm...:)

Dr.Sameena@

www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com
Swedish girl said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
This cake is a winner for sure...apple cake is a favorite in our house and yours looks amazing!
I laughed when you called Paula Deen your hubby's girlfriend-but she sure knows her food!
Lucie said…
Thanks, Bob! This is a great crowd-pleasing cake.
Nutmeg Nanny said…
I still have apples left from when I went picking and this cake would be perfect!
I finally bought a bundt pan and cannot wait to try this recipe. It looks delicious.
Monica H said…
"his girlfriend, Paula Deen" ha ha!

This cake looks wonderful Debbie!

Don't worry about the other commenters. Just delete and move on.