Banana Cheesecake


I'm giving the apple recipes a break for a while (still have more to come). I came across this cheesecake in the Taste of Home Fall Baking Cookbook Magazine. I ALWAYS have overripe bananas here and since I love banana bread and cakes I thought I'd give this a try. I am not a big fan of cheesecake but enjoy a slice every once in a while. Especially if it's from Cheesecake Factory! The banana flavor really comes through in this cake. That is the first thing you taste. So you really have to love bananas to enjoy this cheesecake. I liked it but my husband didn't care for it at all. He thought it had a rum flavoring added to it, which it did not. Just vanilla. It baked up beautifully. I didn't have to put it in a water bath while baking it and it didn't crack at all. I have the sour cream topping on it only because the recipe called for it. Not hiding any cracks. There is another cheesecake that I make that is delicious and I will be trying that again soon but it has always cracked....I've done the water bath thing, left it in the oven to cool off, etc. Cracks....Anyhow this cakes just comes out looking beautiful, so if you want to impress, then give this one a try.

Crust

3/4 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup finely chopped pecans
3 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 1/2 tsps vanilla extract
6 tbs butter, melted

Filling

1 cup mashed ripe bananas
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 tbs cornstarch
1/8 tsp salt
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream

Topping

1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup assorted fresh fruit (if desired)

Combine the first five ingredients; stir in butter. Press onto the bottom of a greased 9-in springform pan; place on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.

Combine bananas and lemon juice; set aside. In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar, cornstarch and salt until smooth. Add eggs; beat on low speed just until combined. Stir in sour cream, vanilla and banana mixture. Pour into crust. Place pan on a baking sheet.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 50-60 minutes or until center is almost set. Let stand for 5 minutes. Combine sour cream, sugar and vanilla; spread over top of cheesecake. Bake 5 minutes longer.

Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan; cool 1 hour longer. Refrigerate overnight. Garnish with fresh fruit.

Comments

La Bella Cooks said…
I love that little baking magazine and have found so many great recipes from there. This one had caught my eye and I am loving that you gave it a try. Looks incredible.
I'm a huge fan of banana "anything" and have been wanting to try a banana cheesecake but didn't know how to go about it. I can't wait to try this recipe.
Ingrid_3Bs said…
I made a banana cheesecake recipe but have yet to blog about it becuase I didn't completely write down my recipe and haven't tested what I did. No worries...now I'll just make yours. Love banana!
~ingrid
Donna-FFW said…
You know, Me like you, is a banana fan at heart.. I shall be giving this a try. It came out gorgeous!
Unknown said…
I've had a lot of cheesecakes, but never banana...this looks and sounds delicious. Great picture!
Cassie said…
That really IS a beautiful cheesecake! You always have the best banana recipes!
Nutmeg Nanny said…
This cheesecake looks great! I love the idea of using bananas. I always have them in the house!
Monica H said…
ooh so pretty! I'm going to pretend it's vanilla or pumpkin or chocolate though. ha ha!

Next time for your other recipe, on top of doing the water bath, try cooking it at a lower temp for longer- low and slow, that helps. The reason it cracks it because it puffs as it bakes (too hot too fast), then it falls and leaves cracks.
Debbie said…
I always have banana's getting over-ripe too.
The cheesecakes looks YUMMY
Joanne said…
Banana cheesecake...now that's one that I've never seen before. But if it's a cheesecake factory recipe, then it must be insanely and decadently delicious!
The Blonde Duck said…
I've really been into cheesecake lately. YUM!
Jane Pergola said…
I love banana cheesecake!! This is so yummy! :)