Apple Pie by Grandma Ople


I have been wanting to make this apple pie for about 2 years and have finally made it. It was fantastic!!! I had it in my "to try" folder and finally tried it! What I should have done but did not do was make a lattice top for the pie, since you pour a syrup over it. I made a regular top pie crust (I have to work on trying to make a lattice one), and while it worked fine, it did not look pretty at all. That's why I'm posting a picture of a slice of the pie. The syrup just kind of turned a dark brown and didn't blend well into the crust while if it were a lattice crust like it should have been it would have spread over each strip. Still, it was good and I would definitely make this again. It's from Allrecipes and is their highest rated apple pie. At this moment I have another one baking in the oven by Ina Garten and I will be posting that one soon too. Anyone tired of apple recipes yet? I'm baking this one for my oldest son, for his 26th birthday. I cannot believe my son is 26 already. I don't know where the years have gone.....although I'm glad that his teenage years are gone!

Hope everyone has a great weekend...we are expecting the temperatures to be in the 70's here and possibly 80 one day next week. Right now it's cold as anything and going down to 40 tonight, crazy!!!

1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
1/2 cup unsalted butter
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
8 Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored and sliced

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Melt the butter in a saucepan. Stir in flour to form a paste. Add water, white sugar and brown sugar and bring to a boil. Reduce temperature and let simmer.

Place bottom crust in your pan. Fill with apples, mounded slightly. Cover with a lattice work of crust. Gently pour the sugar and butter liquid over the crust. Pour slowly so that it does not run off.

Bake 15 minutes in te preheated oven. Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F and continue baking for 35 to 40 minutes until apples are soft.

Comments

your apple pie look good and nice.
Donna-FFW said…
I never tire of apple pie recipes.. keep them coming..

I have the same recipe in my folder to try, that's so funny:)
Coleens Recipes said…
This has been my recipe for decades (except I add cinnamon). It is absolutely delicious.
Unknown said…
I love love love apple pie.. this looks wonderful!!!!
Ingrid_3Bs said…
Oh, boy and I keep feeling weird 'cause the twins are in HS now!

Mine aren't tired of the apples yet so keep 'em coming! :)
~ingrid
Joanne said…
who cares about aesthetics when it tastes delicious? This looks like a keeper for sure.
Kerstin said…
I'm loving all your recent apple recipes! This looks so yummy - apple pie is one of my favorites!
Cassie said…
I'm bookmarking this one for sure. I love that you pour a sweet syrup over the top. YUM!!!
The Blonde Duck said…
This sounds like a combo of German apple pie and regular apple pie. Yum!
Jennifer said…
That crust looks so flakey I wish I could make a decent crust! I could eat apple pie every day!
Nutmeg Nanny said…
This pie looks great! I could totally go for a slice :)
Lucie said…
Did the pie end up being all it's been said to be? I've run across it on allrecipes and have been intrigued by the amount of reviews!! Sounds delicious.
Chef Fresco said…
Love all the apple recipes! Great looking apple pie!