Pumpkin Bundt Cake


This is a cake that just says autumn. I'd never made a pumpkin bundt cake before and with the lemon cream cheese glaze this is just too good to not make again and again. So easy too. If you make this don't leave out the glaze, it just adds the final touch and flavor. I found this recipe in Family Circle - October 2010.

I'm hoping to try a bunch of new apple and pumpkin recipes in the near future. The weather has finally been a bit fall like so I am planning my baking accordingly! It was actually only in the high 60's today! That is very welcome here after last week's heat wave!

3 cups cake flour (not self rising)
3 teaspoons baking powder
2 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/4 cups solid pack pumpkin puree
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup milk


Glaze
4 ounces reduced fat cream cheese
1/2 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
4 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1/4 tsp fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp vanilla extract

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat 12 cup Bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray.

In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and pumpkin pie spice.

Beat together the butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in the pumpkin, eggs and vanilla.

Into pumpkin mixture, alternately beat in flour mixture and milk. Pour into prepared pan.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 57 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center of the cake tests clean. Cool the cake in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove cake to wire rack to cool completely.

Glaze
Beat together the cream cheese, confectioners' sugar, milk, lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla in a medium bowl until well blended and a good glazing consistency. Pour the glaze over top of the cake, letting it drip down the sides.

Comments

LOve the fall baking with pumpkin. The apple dessert looks great also!
Monica H said…
I've been seeing a lot of recipes for pumpkin that include lemon and that combination just seems so unnatural to me. I guess I shouldn't knock it til I try it, huh?

I haven't started baking with pumpkin yet, but I'm hoping this coming weekend, things will change.
Unknown said…
Oh my that glaze....I just want to dive right into a bowl of it!! I love pumpkin bundt cake, but I have never had it with a lemon glaze like that....YUM!!!
Cassie said…
YUM! I love it when fall hits and everyone starts baking with pumpkin. This looks delish!
Jennifer said…
That looks yummy, I love Bundt cakes! You sent your heat wave here!
Lucie said…
Your bundt cake has got me in a giddy Fall mood--the icing looks divine!
I'm just loving all the new pumpkin recipes I'm finding this week. Your bundt cake looks fabulous!
Joanne said…
I love anything that has anything to do with pumpkin and this is just the kind of cake that I would love!
Nutmeg Nanny said…
Mmmm pumpkin! I gotta get stocked up before it disappears...haha.
Danielle said…
Yum, it looks great! I love the fall baking.
Ingrid_3Bs said…
I'm jealous! Your weather sounds wonderful! Your pumpkin bundt looks good, too!

I recently made the caramel apple cake on Monica's blog and it was divine! If you like caramel...try it! :)
~ingrid
Kerstin said…
Yay for baking with pumpkin - looks so pretty with that lovely glaze on top too!
Chef Fresco said…
Yum!! That glaze does look amazing. And I love anything and everything pumpkin!
BumbleVee said…
this sounds wonderful.... must try it soon....