Olivia's Buttermilk Pie


I have always wanted to make a buttermilk pie and I finally got around to baking one! This recipe comes from my most trusted cook....Paula Deen!!!! I have complete faith and trust in Paula. Never once has a recipe of hers bombed when I made it. And trust me, I have made my share of bombs. I don't make her recipes too often since they are just loaded with too much goodness...(butter, sugar, cream). This recipe reminded me very much of a crustless coconut pie I made recently. I had seen another recipe for buttermilk pie also that added pineapple and blueberries that sounded good too, but I wanted to try the Paula recipe first. I will have to remember the next time I make this to make sure my husband is around. He had gone away for the weekend and my son didn't care too much for this so that meant it was all mine. Not a good thing since I just kept "picking" at it, as in digging in with a fork right out of the pie plate whenever the urge struck. And the urge stuck often.

My son did not make the football team. He wasn't really disappointed since he said that didn't expect to make it. Competition starts to get tough in middle school. He had never played on a football team before and it also didn't help to find out that 100 kids had tried out and they usually only pick 4 to 6 6th graders!!! I am proud of him for trying and giving it his best shot and being a really good sport about it. There are other sports he can try out for and I told him there is always next year when he's bigger and taller. Judging by who made the team, they definitely want big kids!

Anyhow, hope you enjoy this recipe. It's great if you have leftover buttermilk and want to use it up. The recipe is super easy too!

1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup buttermilk (I used lowfat)
1/2 cup biscuit mix (I used Bisquick)
1/3 cup (5 1/3 tablespoons) butter, melted
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 eggs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 inch pie pan.

Put all ingredients in a bowl and blend for 1 minute witha handheld electric mixer. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Bake for about 50 minutes (mine took 60 minutes) or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes.

(I put mine in fridge once it was completely cool and enjoyed it chilled with fruit on the side).

Comments

Jennifer said…
I have also always wanted to make one. my husband spent some time in the south where I think it is common! Sorry about the football team, he will be safer tho!
Monica H said…
I've never seen a buttermilk pie recipe quite like this but it seems pretty simple and it looks great.
Joanne said…
Leave it to Paula for an awesome recipe for a southern classic like buttermilk pie. It looks fantastic! I'm sorry about your son and the football team! I'm sure he'll find something else that he loves though!
Cassie said…
I've never even HEARD of buttermilk pie! Who am I?! :)

It looks absolutely delicious, though.
If it's a Paula Deen recipe I'm sure it was delicious. It certainly does look good!
Reeni said…
This sounds luscious Debbie! When I saw the name of it I immediately thought of Paula. I'm sorry your son didn't make the team.
La Bella Cooks said…
You can't beat Paula Deen for more decadent desserts. This one is perfect.
Nutmeg Nanny said…
What a delicious looking pie! I love buttermilk pie. It's so Southern and soooo delicious :) I'm sorry to hear your son didn't make the team. Although I'm happy to hear to still tried :)
Julie said…
Sounds like the perfect breakfast right now..ha!
Stacey said…
I made this recipe from Paula as well and came across you blog when looking to see other people's results. It looks ours came out looking about the same!
http://cookncritique.blogspot.com/2012/03/olivias-buttermilk-pie.html