Cherry Cheesecake Bars


I found these bars in the latest issue of Family Circle. My husband and I both enjoyed them but didn't care too much for the addition of ground cornflakes. I would leave this out of the recipe next time I make them. They just gave the bottom part of the bar too much of a crunch. I couldn't resist this recipe since I had a jar of cherry preserves in my pantry for quite some time and the expiration date was coming up. So this was perfect. These are very rich and go a long way so they are perfect for a work luncheon or pot luck.

I can't believe that Labor Day weekend is coming up already. Where has the summer gone? I don't even care that most of the summer was blazing hot -- anything beats having snow. While I am looking so forward to fall so I can once again bake and bake and bake, I am not looking forward to the season after it. I just hope this coming winter is not as bad as the last one.

School starts back up here next Tuesday and it's back to more of a routine here too. My youngest starts middle school and is looking forward to it and is also nervous at the same time. He's really looking forward to playing football this fall since he has never played before and is very excited about that. So am I. I'm also looking forward to blogging more since I have really fallen behind this past summer and not cooked or baked much. Mainly because of the heat and being at the beach. Oh I could be at the beach forever. Except for the stars in the night sky, I don't think there is anything as beautiful as the ocean and watching the waves roll in and looking for dolphins jumping in and out of the water in the distance. Enough of all that since I could just go on and on..........Here is the recipe for the cheesecake bars. Enjoy!

1 box (18.25 ounces) lemon cake mix

1/2 cup cornflake crumbs (I would omit this next time)

3 eggs

1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted

2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened

1/4 cup sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 cup cherry preserves

1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 13x9x2 inch baking pan with cooking spray.

Set aside 1/2 cup of the cake mix. In a large bowl, stir together the remaining cake mix, cornflake crumbs (if using them), 1 egg and 1/4 cup of the butter. Press into the bottom and partially up the sides of the prepared pan.

In another large bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar, vanilla extract and remaining 2 eggs. Spread mixture over crust. Spoon cherry preserves over the cream cheese mixture. Spread gently and evenly.

Sprinkle reserved cake mix over top and drizzle with the remaining 1/4 cup butter. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with the walnuts and bake an additional 20 to 25 minutes or until set.

Cool completely in pan on rack. Refrigerate overnight. Cut into 24 bars, serve chilled.

Comments

Lucie said…
Looks super yummy! I can't believe Summer has gone by so fast...but at this speed, next thing you know you'll be back at the beach in no time!
Joanne said…
I really like that these use lemony cake mix! Lemon cherry flavor pairing sound great! Ugh, I can't believe school is starting either. I wish summer could last just a BIT longer.
teresa said…
so delicious! i'm having a hard time accepting that summer is coming to an end, especially when it's still SO hot!
This looks like a great dessert. I have to make it gluten free but I guess, I could just make my own lemon cake. I would like to try it. SOunds so yummy.
Jennifer said…
I love cherries, and that looks spectacular! I am not a huge fan of summer so I am getting happier by the day!
Ingrid_3Bs said…
Hope your guy has a great first day & enjoys middle school. My son isn't playing football this year and I'm gonna miss it...lotsa fun!

I think I have some cherry preserves that need to be used up too. I'll have to check.
~ingrid
I adore anything with cheesecake in the title... I mean really adore.

Regarding your son and football. Make sure you're there for every game, but keep your eyes closed. It worked for me....lol
Monica H said…
The corn flakes, the lemon cake crust, cream cheese and cherry. oh boy this sounds heavenly.

I know our summer will last a bit longer but I can't wait for FALL and cooler weather.
Unknown said…
I love the lemon and cherry flavor combination!
Aahhh, yes, Labor day...marking the end of summer...funny how fast it went!! Hope you enjoy your weekend.
Reeni said…
These sound heavenly! Love the combo of lemon, cherry and cream cheese! They sound addicting. I am so ready for fall to be here...