Apple Crumb Squares




Here is a great apple cake/ bar recipe that is perfect for this time of year. I found the recipe in the September 2010 issue of Family Circle magazine. I get so many magazines that it is ridiculous already. Some of them I don't even read....I just go straight to the recipe pages! These were really good and also a little time consuming since you have to make the crust, slice the apples and then get together the topping but still really simple. I love that these had almond extract in the crust and these were also not too sweet. You might want to go a little heavier on the pumpkin pie spice or a little extra cinnamon.....I think I might have preferred that but that's just me.


I recently had a little disaster baking a favorite cake of mine. A banana cake. It wouldn't rise and wouldn't rise and took soooo long to bake. Well, I guess that is what happens when you forget to add baking soda. Oh was I ticked! I absolutely HATE when I waste time and ingredients to have something just end up in the trash. So frustrating. But I guess it happens to all of us from time to time.


My son has his first school dance this Thursday afternoon from 3 to 5pm. Can't wait to hear about it.....Oh, and we went and rented a clarinet today. He has joined band and this was the instrument he picked. I hope he likes it. I remember when my middle son picked trombone. Oh me, oh my.........I think the instrument saw the light of day only on several occassions. Let's just say all did not go well! Hope things are better this time around with my youngest and his clarient!!!!


3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softenend


1 cup sugar


3 eggs


3/4 tsp almond extract


1 1/2 cups all purpose flour


1/8 tsp salt


6 Granny Smith apples, cored, peeled, halved and thinly sliced


1/4 cup apricot preserves, melted


Crumb Topping


2 cups all purpose flour


1 cup light brown sugar


1 1/4 tsps pumpkin pie spice


1/4 tsp salt


3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted


2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar


Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 15 x 10 x 1 inch pan with cooking spray.


Beat together the butter and sugar until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Beat in almond extract. On low speed, beat in flour and salt until just blended. Spread evenly into prepared pan.


Fan apple slices over top, then brush with preserves. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes.


Crumb topping: Whisk together the flour, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice and salt. Stir in the butter until mixture is moisented and clumps together. Sprinkle evenly over cake. Bake for an additional 35 minutes. Remove pan to wire rack; cool completlely.


Dust with confectioners' sugar and cut into 24 squares.


Comments

Jennifer said…
That looks yummy, we are going apple picking this weekend!

His first dance, how sweet. My husband played clarinet, I hear it is a chick magnet!
Unknown said…
The cake looks incredibly tasty! Looks like it was well worth the time :)
I have forgotten an important ingredient like that before, I understand how you feel...it sucks (to put it mildly)!
Emily said…
Welllll these bars look awesome! I want one right now.

I need to get to baking with apples. I'm waiting for some cooler weather. Still 90 here!
Cassie said…
Those look absolutely delicious -- perfect for the fall! And like you, I can't stand it when I spend time baking something only to have it turn out pretty awful...which is probably why I cook more than bake, because most savory dishes are salvageable! :)

I hope your son enjoys playing the clarinet!
Nutmeg Nanny said…
What a great looking dessert! The other day I was making pumpkin cake and I forgot to add the baking powder too...uggg. I had to mix it in while it was in the pan. Luckily it turned out though.
tamilyn said…
Ha ha I cut this recipe out to try for my blog too! Great minds think alike :)
Lucie said…
Mmm! The texture on these bars is great! Sounds like a nice treat to come home to after intense clarniet practice :)
Joanne said…
I used to play clarinet and I loved it so hopefully your son will as well! And a school dance...how fun!

Oh apples. I am so glad they are back in season. So I can make delicious treats like these.
megan said…
These sound really good. I love all apple desserts in the fall!
Aren't you glad it's apple season again? This looks like a great recipe.
Pam said…
It looks delicious! Love apple desserts this time of year. Oh, I hate when that happens, forgetting a vital ingredient!

lol With you all the way on the magazines! Hope your son likes the clarinet! I played it in the band all through school.
Katy ~ said…
Debbie, this looks so good. I'm a fan of apple recipes and boy does this one look GOOD!!! My mouth is watering. Great find and a great share. Thank you so much.
Julie said…
The apple squares look delicious! I hate when I screw up my recipes too, unfortunately it happens a lot :P
Kerstin said…
Mm,m looks like such a yummy fall treat!
Oh this looks yummy...I love cooking with apples and I have some from the farmer's market, so I've got to try this recipe-thanks!
Velva said…
These apple crumb squares would be wonderful with a really good hot cup of coffee. Your squares look divine.
Monica H said…
I don't thin kI've ever left out an ingrediant in baking rather than vanilla, but I do hate when you spend so much time on a recipe and it's no good. That's a bummer to me.

This recipe looks delish. I wonder if I could half it???
Ingrid_3Bs said…
Your apple squares look good. They're definitely something my three would like.

I hate when that happens especially when you're unable to salvage it so, it just end up in the trash. Sorry about that!
~ingrid