Upside Down Cornbread Cake







I will tell you right away that this is one crazy recipe! I have never seen a recipe like this and had I found this myself, would never have paid any attention to it, let alone think of making it! My husband had found this at food network and suggested I give this a try. I have to tell you that it really is very good. If you decide to make this be aware that it is really most flavorful when it's eaten the same day you make it. This is not one that keeps well or even looks good on the second day. But on day one it's terrific and will impress the people you serve it to.


Recipe courtesy of Sunny Anderson - Food Network

For the cornbread:
1 cup all purpose flour

1 cup stone ground yellow cornmeal

1 cup heavy cream

2 eggs

1/2 stick butter, melted

2 tablespoons brown sugar

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon salt


For the sauce:

1/2 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed

1/2 stick butter

1 (15.5 ounce) can fruit cocktail, drained

1 (12 ounce) can marashino cherries, drained

1/2 cup chopped walnuts

1/4 cup brandy

whipped cream, for serving
confectioners's sugar for dusting, if desired

Preheat over to 400 degree F.
In a large bowl, mix together flour, cornmeal, heavy cream, eggs, butter, brown sugar, baking powder and salt.
In a 9 ich cast iron skillet over medium high heat, add sugar and butter and let melt. When melted, remove from heat and add remaining ingredients. Be sure to place maraschino cherries evenly throughout. Pour in batter and smooth top with a spatula. Bake 25 minutes, until cornbread is golden and a toothpick comes out clean.
To serve: place a platter over skillet and invert cake. It should slide out easily. Slice into wedges and serve warm with whipped cream. Dust with confectioners' sugar, if desired.



Comments

Joanne said…
I will definitely have to keep this in mind for the next time I have people over...looks delicious!
Jenn said…
Ooo...nice job!!! This cake looks awesome!! Plus, who doesn't love cornbread, right???
It is very impressive looking! Any excuse to eat cornbread - yum!
Cassie said…
That's so different, and it sounds so delicious! I think it would be the perfect dessert for a summer BBQ. I'm bookmarking this one!
Katy ~ said…
Yummm...loooovvree all the ingredients in this. I can taste it from here! Big big YUMMMMMY
La Bella Cooks said…
This is a different twist on the usual cake. Looks wonderful!
Diana's Cocina said…
Now this is one way to eat cornbread! Looks yummy.
Sook said…
Oh what an interesting cornbread recipe! I've never tried cornbread this way before. Sounds delicious!
Amanda said…
Wow cornbread? How fun, I bet it was great!
Mary Bergfeld said…
Love this recipe. We are having guests this coming weekend and they will really enjoy this. Have a great day, Debbie
Pam said…
I have a feeling it would only last one day in my house - it looks delicious.
Emily said…
You know what? I think this sounds really good. And I love Sunny. :)

Cherries, walnuts, cornmeal... I love that combo.
Cathy said…
Love cornbread and the fruit topping looks delicious. A warm slice with whipped cream would be pretty darn good right now.
Manggy said…
You know what? I think it really, really works. But yeah, it might dry out on day 2. But I am craving a slice right now!
figtree said…
Wow this looks really different. Ill be sure to try it!
Chef Aimee said…
Ok your husband knows his desserts! WOW! I rarely watch Sunny and am now mad I missed this episode! WOW...I love love love cornbread! Thanks for sharing!
Nutmeg Nanny said…
What an interesting cake. I bet it was delicious :)
Monica H said…
I'm intrigued. This would be great served right after a fried chicken gravy and a glass of sweet tea (even thuogh I don't like tea- ha ha!)

So Southern!
That sounds really fun and different. Great cake for company!
Julie said…
That really is an interesting recipe. Looks delicious, and now I'm hungry!