KFC Cole Slaw


My husband surprised me with this when I came home today from Richmond from visiting my oldest son and his family (grandaughter of course!). He had picked up some KFC and had this cole slaw alongside the chicken and biscuits. I'm telling you that I would never have known he made this! It tastes just like KFC's cole slaw!! I'm not a big fan of cole slaw but I do like a helping of it with fried chicken or BBQ. It just adds something to the dish. If you like KFC's cole slaw then you have got to try this. My husband happens to also be a really, really good cook. He may not be a baker but this man can cook and arrange a platter way better than me anytime!!! He found the recipe in the book titled Top Secret Recipes!

The weather down here in Virginia was just beautiful this weekend. Sunny and 60.....no complaining here!!!

1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup buttermilk
2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
8 cups finely chopped cabbage (about 1 head). My husband chopped this very, very fine
1/4 cup shredded carrot ( 1 medium carrot)
2 tablespoons minced onion

1. Be sure cabbage and carrots are chopped into very fine pieces (about the size of rice).

2. Combine the mayonnaise, sugar, milk, buttermilk, lemon juice, vinegar, salt and pepper in a large bowl and beat until smooth.

3. Add the cabbage, carrots and onion and mix well.

4. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.

Serves 10 to 12.

Comments

Joanne said…
This sounds perfect for when BBQ season rolls around! Who knew husbands had so much talent?
Jenn said…
Mmmm...I can't wait for summer. I always make a big batch of slaw. How sweet of your hubby to make this. KFC version is pretty good too.
Nice! Every once in a while I love having some KFC with slaw.
Claudia said…
I only have cole slaw with barbecue and am a lazybones - always buy it. Love the buttermilk in this.
Carrie said…
Oh my goodness I LOVE KFC Cole Slaw! It is seriously better than our local BBQ joints or the supermarket... I've been known to buy large containers of it for my cookouts!
I can't wait to try this recipe!!
Buttermilk?? I'll have to give this a try! Thanks for sharing!
Yuck weather here. :-(
The Blonde Duck said…
Totally craving fried chicken and cole slaw now....
Unknown said…
I love KFC cole slaw..ok, I like any kind of cole slaw really :) I have a recipe that's similar to this one....mmmm.. now I want to go grill come burgers and make a big batch of this!
Pam said…
I haven't eaten KFC for years but I do remember that I loved the coleslaw. This looks wonderful.
Nutmeg Nanny said…
Delicious! I'm not a huge cole slaw fan but I agree, along side fried chicken it makes the meal :)
Manggy said…
I don't eat coleslaw much either, but there's something about eating it with fried chicken and rice...
NKP said…
Sounds tasty! We love cole slaw with fried chicken too.
Reeni said…
How yummy! I love cole slaw! This sounds great!
Amanda said…
NO. WAY. No way! if this really really really tastes like KFC, my husband is going to be in Heaven! He loves KFC coleslaw and is a total mayo hater. it's the only thing he will eat with mayo in it. He won't eat any other coleslaw either, I am so trying this!

I am reaching out to my fellow foodies today to see if they on my Food Bloggers Discussion List. If you are not we would love to have you! Email me amanda AT amandascookin.com
This is my 1st time here. You have a lovely blog, will visit you more often from now to check what you are cooking. Ya, I like to eat KFC cole slaw too, Thanks for sharing.
The Blonde Duck said…
Thanks for the kind words on Ben's b-day post!
La Bella Cooks said…
This would be perfect for a summer time picnic! How nice your hubby made this for you. It looks delicious and I will keep this in mind for a picnic or backyard bbq.
Mary Bergfeld said…
This sounds fantastic to me. I'm a closet lover of KFC coleslaw, so it's nice to have a recipe for it.
Leslie said…
mmmm.I love me some KFC slaw!
Jen_from_NJ said…
I haven't been to KFC in years but I am a fan of the coleslaw (and the biscuits :) Thanks for sharing!
Katy ~ said…
A definite, definite must try with the buttermilk. I LOVE coleslaw, i have a favorite (Paula Deen's) but will certainly try this one, too. Thanks so much for discovering and sharing!
Lori said…
I know I need to make this!

My husband is not a big fan of coleslaw but I wait all year to have some in the summer when I can make a big batch and bring it to picnics. I just know I will be making this version. Thank you.
Amanda said…
Thank you for this Deb! I made this on Friday morning, and while it was good on Friday evening, it's still had a strong cabbage flavor. However, we had some tonight, after it had time to marinate, and wow, I can't believe how close it really is to KFC. My husband loved it! :)
Thank you for sharing this. I made it, especially for my husband, for our 4th of July barbeque. He asked me "When did you slip away to KFC?" He was elated to discover I made it and prepared SO much of it! KFC coleslaw is one of his all time favorite foods. I did cheat. I used a large bag of ready made cole slaw, and then, let it dance in the food processor until if was very fine. I couldn't tell the difference between KFC and the version you posted. What I love MOST about this? I KNOW "when" it was prepared and what's in it. On more than one occasion, KFC gave me containers, of coleslaw, that had a "use by date," that expired the day before. Many, many thanks, Deb. Give your cook a kiss on the cheek for me. Bravo!
Oh, I made another batch within the past hour. It's in the fridge -- the ingredients are melding as I type. My hubby will be VERY happy when he opens the fridge door, in the morning, and finds a double batch.