Grandma Jean's Potato Salad


This recipe was a miss for me the first time around. It was delicious except for the fact that it was just overcome with a hot taste from the mustard. I knew that something was wrong. I kept rereading the recipe and couldn't figure it out until I finally realized that the mustard the recipe called for was regular mustard and not DRY mustard!!! For whatever reason I had it in my head that the recipe called for dry mustard and that certainly was not the case. I cooked up the potato salad again and it was perfect. It's from the Neely's on food network. I find their recipes to be hit or miss but this one is a winner. I thought it would be good to post this now since spring is upon us and I'm sure the salads will be making the rounds.

My son is on spring break this week and I am already hearing sighs of boredom. We are laying off the video games here for a while. Since his older brother had given him an xbox live card to use for Christmas. It seems this is all he wants to do. I told him to read a book if he is bored or watch a show on TV. It's raining now so we are stuck indoors but as soon as the weather gets nice it's outdoors for the day. I don't understand how kids get bored these days....they have so much at their fingertips to do and just don't realize it!

5 large red potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 ribs celery, chopped
1/2 large onion, chopped
3 hard boiled eggs, 2 chopped and 1 sliced
2 heaping tablespoons sweet pickle relish, drained
1/2 cup salad dressing (recommended: Miracle Whip)
3 tablespoons yellow mustard
1 tablespoon sugar
Paprika, for garnish
salt

Boil cubed potatoes until they are tender. Drain and cool. In a large bowl add celery, onion, 2 eggs and pickled relish. Add the salad dressing, yellow mustard and sugar. Stir well. Place the sliced egg on top of potatoes and sprinkle with paprika and salt. Let the potato salad chill in the refrigerator for 2 1/2 hours or overnight.

Comments

ann low said…
Looks very yummy, I don't mind the dry mustard!
La Bella Cooks said…
Perfect for summertime! I love a good potato salad and this looks comforting.
Joanne said…
Dry and wet mustard - HUGE difference! Looks delicious though. The Neelys know where it's at.
But Mom.... reading is sooooo boring...


OMG, my kids are grown and gone, but I so remember those whines
Jenn said…
I'm glad this second go around was much better. Definitely a summertime meal. Yum yum!
Katy ~ said…
I love potato salad; we eat it year round. Sometimes it's just the right thing to have, it seems, regardless of the season, grins. I would love this potato salad and will be trying it soon.
This is very close to my favorite (my mom's) potato salad recipe with the exception of the miracle whip. I alway use regular mayo instead and add just a splash of white vinegar. Potato salad is a real sign of spring at this house!
Unknown said…
I love potato salad any time of the year, but it always reminds me of the summer. It's already starting to feel like summer here, so good timing on the post!
The story of your son reminds me of a quote from one of my favorite movies (The Princess Bride) "When I was your age, television was called books" :)
Kathleen said…
I love potato salad! This recipe sounds perfect!
This sound a very healthy salad!
Reeni said…
I love potato salad! This looks like a good one. I can't wait to barbecue!!
Diana's Cocina said…
i love a good potato salad. I'll have to give it a try.
teresa said…
this makes me so excited for summer bbq's! yummy!
Emily said…
Yum. This looks great. Perfect for Easter and spring!

Your son should do some baking, I think. Who doesn't love to bake? :)
Looks like great homecooking. Thanks for the idea for the potato salad.