Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup and Grandmother's Buttermilk Cornbread


I made this soup last week and just love it! I am always glad when I find a new slow cooker recipe that turns out well. I used a mild taco seasoning mix that I thought was perfect but my husband and son still found it a bit too spicy. So if you don't like your soup too spicy you might want to tone this down. I like spicy food and did not find this really spicy. The buttermilk corn bread was terrific with this dish too. I am a major fan of corn bread and this one was so good! I found both of these recipes on Allrecipes.


I just heard the temperature may actually hit 50 degrees here on Thursday and I feel like jumping for joy!!! It's just been too cold for me. Anybody out there tuning into American Idol tonight? I love American Idol and am looking forward to watching it!


Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup


1 oniopn, chopped

1 (16 ounce) can chili beans

1 (15 ounce) can black beans

1 (15 ounce) can corn, drained

1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce

1 (12 fluid ounce) bottle or can beer

2 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained

1 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning mix

3 whole skinless, boneless chicken breasts

shredded Cheddar cheese, (optional)

sour cream (optional)

crushed tortilla chips (optional)


Place onion, chili beans, black beans, corn, tomato sauce, beer and diced tomatoes in a slow cooker. Add taco seasoning and stir to blend. Lay chicken breasts on top of mixture, pressing down slightly until just covered by the other ingredients. Set slow cooker for low heat and cook for 5 hours.

Remove chicken breasts from the soup, and allow to cool long enough to be handled. Stir the shredded chicken back into the soup, and continue cooking for 2 hours. Serve topped with shredded Cheddar cheese, a dollop of sour cream and crushed tortilla chips, if desired.


Grandmother's Buttermillk Cornbread


1/2 cup butter

2/3 cup white sugar

2 eggs

1 cup buttermilk

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1 cup cornmeal

1 cup all purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon salt


Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease an 8 inch square pan.

Melt butter in large skillet (I melted in microwave and placed in mixing bowl). Remove from heat and stir in sugar. Quickly add eggs and beat until well blended. Combine buttermilk with baking soda and stir into mixture in pan. Stir in cornmeal, flour and salt until well blended and few lumps remain. Pour battle into the prepared pan.

Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Comments

Finla said…
Perfect for the cold weather one is having here.
George Gaston said…
Debbie, this is the perfect meal to warm the soul on these cold, cold winter days. I bet the "slow-cooker" is the #1 appliance in use during this deep freeze across the country.

Great recipe with options! Many thanks...
Donna-FFW said…
Oh what a perfect pairing, and what makes it even better is the use of the crockpot!! Absolutely wonderful winter meal!
I'm always looking for a new slow cooker recipe. I really like how this looks and sounds. Maybe I should get this going Saturday!

I'm with you...shorts and t-shirts on thursday - lol
Pam said…
Both the soup and cornbread sound amazing! Delicious.
Mary Bergfeld said…
What a perfect pair of recipes to make a winter meal. They both sound amazing.
Jenn said…
I believe LA will be getting some soup weather very very soon. That makes me happy. Taco soup may be in order. Plus, that cornbread too. Can't. Resist.
This all looks wonderful! Bring on teh cold weather again with a bowl of this
noble pig said…
This sounds so good for winter. I can imagine how wonderful it tastes.
Nutmeg Nanny said…
This is perfect for all this cold weather we are having. I'm a big fan of the crock pot so I just know I would love this soup :)
La Bella Cooks said…
I am craving a dinner such as this right now and how easy this is in a crockpot. It looks absolutely delicious.
teresa said…
taco soup is so good, and i especially love that you can do it in your crockpot, delicious!
Katy ~ said…
Debbie, I have got to make these. Both recipes sound like real keepers and ones that we would enjoy over and over. Great share!!
Julie said…
That soup sounds so good! The beer in there surprises me!
I love slow cooker recipes, especially in the winter time. This looks so delicious with the cornbread.

American Idol is playing in the background as I type this!
Reeni said…
What a warming and comforting soup! I bet it was just delicious paired with the cornbread!
April said…
I love anything that I can cook in my slow cooker! This looks like one I need to make!
The Blonde Duck said…
Can't go wrong with taco soup and cornbread!
Joanne said…
New slow cooker recipes are the best! They make life so much easier. This one sounds excellent! Then again, you can't go wrong with chicken tacos. And the cornbread - fantastic.
BOSSY said…
Soup is Bossy's favorite. Just: yum.
Looks wonderful. My son has a basketball game Friday night and this would be the perfect dinner for us to come home to!
Monica H said…
No AI for me but this reminds me I have a container of chili in the freezer. I'll have to try this cornbread to go with it. This looks so good!
Emily said…
This soup sounds delicious. It wouldn't be too spicy for me, that's for sure. I'm really disappointed in your husband and son. ;)
Coleens Recipes said…
Fantastic combo for our cold weather. Thanks for sharing.
Chef Fresco said…
Yay for slow-cooker meals! This looks so tasty! Allrecipes has some great ones. I also was super happy that the temperature rose, even if it was just for 2 days :)
Melissa said…
YUM! Both look delicious! I am a sucker for some good corn bread :-)
Kathy said…
I love my slow cooker. I may try to make this recipe meatless - it sounds so tasty.