Skillet Chicken with Broccoli, Pasta and Parmesan Cheese


I found this recipe over at Donna's site. Not only is it easy and delicious but there is very little clean up. That means alot if you've been working all day and just want to relax and don't want a ton of pots to clean. She has several dishes like this on her site and they are all kid and time friendly!!!! We all enjoyed this....no one turned their nose up at it. It's very nice when everyone is happy with their dinner! I cooked this before I started letting my husband and son pick out the dinner menu once a week. So far that's been going well and I'll be posting more about that in the near future. I'll let you know what we all picked for our weekly choices!!!


Hope everyone has a nice weekend. They are calling (once again) for a chance of snow/sleet/freezing rain here. Why on the weekend? Why not during the week already! Let's keep our fingers crossed we only get rain!


2 - 3 boneless chicken breasts, cut up into 1 inch pieces

salt and pepper

3 tablespoons olive oil

1 medium onion, chopped

4 medium cloves of garlic, minced

1/2 teaspoon oregano

1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (I omitted these since my son doesn't care for anything spicy)

12 ounces pasta

4 1/4 cups water

2 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth

4 - 5 cups broccoli florets

1/2 cup oil packed sun dried tomatoes, rinsed and chopped

3/4 cup heavey cream

3/4 cup parmesan cheese


Chop onion, mince garlic & cut broccoli florets into big chunks. Coarsely chop sun dried tomatoes.

Cut chicken breasts into 1 inch squares, season with salt and pepper.

In a non stick skillet coated in oil, cook chicken for several minutes until nicely browned. Transfer to a bowl. Add more oil and add onion and salt. Cook until softened. Stir in garlic, oregano and pepper flakes and cook until fragrant.

Toss in pasta, 3 cups water and broth. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook until liquid is thick and syrupy, about 12 minutes. Add broccoli, sun dried tomatoes and remaining 1 1/4 cup water and cook broccoli until it turns bright green and almost tender, about 3 minutes. Stir in heavy cream, fresh grated cheese and chicken. Cook until thickened and cooked through, about 2 -3 minutes. Top with fresh cheese to serve.

Comments

Jenn said…
Nothing beat a good and tasty pasta dish. Yum!!!
Chef Fresco said…
I agree about loving low-volume clean-up nights! Easy meals with few dishes are my favorite :) Looks great!
Ingrid_3Bs said…
Looks good, Debbie! Donna has a ton of delicious but time friendly meals. I'll have to bump this one up.
~ingrid
teresa said…
oh this looks so good, i love all of the flavor in there.

be sure to check in on my blog tomorrow, i think you'll like what you find...
Monica H said…
I always wish for snow but that's because I rarely see it. Stay warm!

This meal looks great. I only work part time but sometimes I just don't want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen. Will have to give this one a try.
Kathleen said…
Yum! Looks de-lish. Love the easy clean up
Donna-FFW said…
I am so glad you enjoyed the dish Debbie, thank you so much for the shout out and link back to my blog. The photo looks terrific. These one dish easy meals are favorites of mine also during the week.
Joanne said…
Donna really does have some of the best quick and easy recipes out there. And you know they must be good if she posts about them!

I would love to hear about what all of you picked.
Mary Bergfeld said…
Sometimes simple is best. This looks wonderful and the fact that it is so easy to do is a big bonus. Have a great day.
Looks lovely too. Love the green and reds and the bowties! Why not send it on to Presto Pasta Night?
Emily said…
Mmm pasta. I want some! Don't you just love bow ties? I love their texture.
Reeni said…
This looks totally comforting and delicious! A great dish to cozy up to when the weather is bad!
The Blonde Duck said…
I love anything low clean up.
Melissa said…
I love skillet meals!This one looks great! I am guilty of buying the bagged ones...mostly since the hubbs can make them and not burn down the kitchen ;-) Quick and easy! I will have be sure to make extra to freeze...for the nights he has to fend on his own. :-)
Sometimes the freshest tasting meals are the easy ones. This looks delicious and I also love the easy cleanup!
NKP said…
Delicious! I have had my eye on this recipe too. Great flavours.
Katy ~ said…
Ye gads, this looks SUPER GOOD. I just know I could eat the entire potful by myself. I would love it while it was going down and hate myself when it got there, LOL. I heard about moderation once.... hahahaha
What a Dish! said…
This totally looks like my kind of meal! I'll have to bookmark it. The whole fam loves pasta dishes.
Anna said…
Fuzz would love this! Thanks for the recipe.