Roasted Orange and Thyme Chicken Thighs


I'm back from my weekend in Richmond and have some pictures that I'll be posting on my Picture Post later this week. Right now I'm thankful that the weather will be taking a turn and getting warmer by the end of the week. I'm not counting on not seeing any more snow though since it's only the beginning of January but I am glad for any weather at the moment that doesn't include the word snow in it!


My big purchase this weekend was a lightweight steam cleaner for wooden floors. Where have I been that I didn't even know they existed??? I have hardwood floors in my house and let me tell you they can get soooo filthy...especially with dogs in the house. Some coworkers last week were talking about steam cleaners for their floors and I (of course) had no clue they even had them for wooden floors, let alone lightweight ones. My life has just gotten a lot easier and my floors a lot cleaner to say the least!!!! I wonder if it's something maybe about being in my early 50's (oh God, no) that I feel at times that I live in a vacuum.....and every once in a while I learn something new and a light goes on. Who knows...I better stop now before I go on about how the face in the mirror no longer matches how I feel in the inside....or how when I pull the skin back a bit I look like me again....!!!!!! Yes, I can be vain and if I had the money and wasn't so scared I'd get a facelift in a heartbeat!!! On that note........


Here is a recipe for chicken that I made recently. It was very, very good and very tangy. I found it on Dinners for a Year and Beyond. I recently blogged about a pasta dish I found at her site that was one of her top ten. So is this one. I served this with a side of white rice. Very simple to make and tasty.


10 boneless, skinless chicken thighs

olive oil

salt

pepper

3 tablespoons olive oil

1 small red onion, diced

3 cups orange juice

2 teaspoons thyme, dried

scant 1/4 cup pure maple syrup

2 tablespoon soy sauce

1/2 tsp pepper

1/2 tsp salt


Preheat over to 375 degrees F. Place chicken thighs on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.

Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a small saucepan and saute onions for about 8 minutes. After onions have sauteed, place chicken in preheated oven and roast for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, add orang juice and thyme to sauteed onions and bring to a boil. Cook for about 20 minutes or until reduced to about 1/2 cup stirring occasionally. When orange juice mixture has reduced to 1/2 cup, add maple syrup, soy sauce, pepper and salt. Continue to boil for about 2 - 3 minutes. Remove from heat.

Remove chicken from oven and brush with a generous amount of the sauce. Return to oven and continue roasting for about 10 - 15 more minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken from oven and serve with remaining sauce.

Comments

I had no idea they made steam cleaners for wood floors either! (Of course I'm also an old gal, for whatever that's worth...LOL)

I love working with boneless, skinless chicken thighs and this looks like a great recipe for them.
noble pig said…
I used to have a cleaner like that and loved it. I miss my hardwoods.
Jenn said…
Orange flavored chicken. Forget the nugget sized pieces use a large thigh. Just my kind of dish. and possibly finger lickin' good.
Monica H said…
Ooh, I'm all over this. This looks delicious. Love that glaze.
The chicken sounds yummy-I love the citrus touch!
I had no idea about the steam cleaners either-I must be getting old! :)
Katy ~ said…
This looks good! Will be saving to be making and enjoying. Anything with maple syrup has to be good. And LOVE the citrus touch. I'm on a citrus kick right now. YUM
George Gaston said…
Debbie, this chicken looks delicious. I definitely will be trying it soon. Many thanks...
I am in my early 50's as well... That';s great, i am starting to forget, so sometimes i discover something that i knew 20 years ago, but it is so exciting to be all new again
Joanne said…
I have heard of these steam cleaner things but I don't have a wood floor. Instead I get the pleasure of vacuuming carpeting. Lovely.

I love chicken thighs! They have so much more flavor than breasts. What a great recipe.
teresa said…
mmm, we had a TON of chicken thighs in our freezer, what a great way to use them! don't you love finds that make your life easier?
Jennifer said…
Are you kidding I have tons of hardwood, I am checking this out ASAP! Nice lookin chicken too!
Debbie, the combination of the organge which I really crave in the cold months with the thyme on the chicken sounds so over the top and the chicken looks so delish!
The Blonde Duck said…
I'm so glad to hear of that cleaner. We're about to rip out our carpet and put down hardwood.
Mary Bergfeld said…
The chicken sounds delightful. You've set me to thinking about the steam cleaner for wood floors.
Pam said…
I love thyme with lemon but have never tried it with orange - this chicken looks amazing.

I want a steam cleaner for my wood floors!!
Nutmeg Nanny said…
Yummy! I'm always in need of new chicken recipes. Can't wait to try this :)
Kerstin said…
Mmm, what a tasty way to make chicken thighs - the glaze sounds so good! Glad you found a good cleaner too :)
Kana said…
I was not aware that one could steam clean wooden floors....Learn something new everyday!
NKP said…
These look so glistening and delicious!
Talita said…
I'm really curious to try orange with chicken. Sounds so yummy.
La Bella Cooks said…
The combo of the orange and the thyme sounds heavenly! The glaze looks inviting in your photo as well.