Delicious Chicken Pot Pie




Chicken pot pie has to be one of my favorite meals. Years ago when I had first gotten out of school and was working in Manhattan I had chicken pot pie at least once a week for dinner. Though not the kind you are thinking of! One of my favorite foods back then was Swanson's Chicken Pot Pie that I used to pick up after work at the store and heat up in the oven. Of course it was a frozen dinner but I just loved them. Now that my cooking skills are somewhat improved I make this dish from scratch. I found this recipe at Recipezaar. It is delicious and so simple to make. The only change I added was a few shakes of Mrs. Dash seasonings and I used a store bought pie crust. That makes life a lot easier! My husband and son both enjoyed this. The original recipe states is makes 6 - 8 servings but the three of us ate the whole thing!!! Hope you enjoy this as much as we did!
1 cup potato, diced
1 cup onion, diced
1 cup celery, diced
1 cup carrot, diced
1/3 cup melted butter
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup half and half
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 cups chicken, cooked and chopped
2 pie crusts (either store bought or your own recipe) I used only one pie crust for this
several shakes of Mrs. Dash seasoning (my own addition)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Saute onion, celery, carrots and potatoes in butter for 10 minutes. Add flour to sauteed vegetable mixture, stirring well. Cooke one minute stirring constantly. Combine broth and half and half. Gradually stir into vegetable mixture. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until thickened and bubbly. Stir in salt and pepper and Mrs Dash. Add chicken and stir well. Pour into shallow 2 quart casserole dish and top with pie shells. Cut slits to allow steam to escape. Bake for 40 - 45 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly and cooked through.

Comments

noble pig said…
So, so nice! Your crust is beautiful!!
justjoycee said…
I absolutely love chicken pot pies, my mom always made them, the frozen ones of course. I buy the frozen ones too. But I really would love to make this recipe because it looks so good and the frozen ones don't seem to be as good as they used to be. Looks awesome!!!!!
Mom on the Run said…
I have never conquered the chicken pot pie. Yours looks fabulous:)
Ingrid_3Bs said…
I tried a shortcut version of this and no dice. My kiddos did NOT go for it. I need to give your recipe a try! It definitely looks yummier than the one I made.
~ingrid
Joyce said…
Ah this looks like delicious comfort food. Thanks for adding the recipe. I have to wait for company to make this so that I am not tempted to eat too many leftovers:)
Joyce
Jenn said…
I tasted a version of it for the first time many years ago and enjoyed it quite a bit. Pot pies should be something I need to tackle in the next coming weeks.
tamilyn said…
I love homemade pot pies. Wasn't a big fan of the frozen because of the peas and carrots. Now I load mine with potatoes :)
Coleens Recipes said…
That is one delicious looking pot pie!!
That looks like the perfect chilly winter evening meal. I don't think it would last more than one meal for my family, either.
Pam said…
Chicken pot pie is my all time favorite meal - yours looks stunning!
ann low said…
Very nice chicken pot pie. Will definitely give a try.
Melissa said…
You pie looks amazing! Yum!
MaryMoh said…
This looks very delicious and healthy with lots of vegetables in it. It's a long time I have not eaten chicken pie. Time to make myself. Thanks for sharing.
George Gaston said…
Debbie, Swanson's had better watch out, cause you are going to put their "pot pie" production out of business.

Your looks absolutely delicious and it sounds easy to make. I've been wanting to make a pot pie and this sounds like a perfect recipe to follow. Many thanks...
Carrie said…
Oh my goodness your chicken pot pie looks amazing!!! You did a great job, I just want to stick a fork through the screen and dig in!
The Blonde Duck said…
I haven't had a chicken pot pie in so long. I just love them.
Joanne said…
Chicken pot pie is the best! My mom totally used to by the Swanson frozen kind and we loved it. But now I try to make it myself as well. Comfort food at its best.
teresa said…
what a pretty potpie too! this looks so comforting and delicious!
what a great pot pie... very underrated dish!
Cookie said…
Pot pies are perfect for this time of the year! We usually have a few Marie Callendars in the freezer but I did make one myself once and it was WAY better than the frozen stuff! Pre-made pie dough is a total life saver!
Reeni said…
This looks absolutely delicious! It wouldn't last long in my house either!
Claudia said…
Nothing comforts and nourishes like a chicken pot pie. Especially in January. This looks scrumptious. I am from Queens - when the family moved to Long island, I was in college. And I miss NYC also! Thanks for the visit.
Confession time for me...I used to love the Swanson's pot pies too!

I like that you used a ready-made crust. I stink at pastry making.
Looks wonderful and a perfect comfort food.
Katy ~ said…
Debbie, chicken pot pie is such a favorite here. LUV LUV LUV this. Can't say enough good things about this quintessential comfort food.
Manggy said…
The ultimate comfort food! Perfect for a chilly day like this :)
NKP said…
Mmm, so comforting and delicious! The crust really turned out nicely.
you cant go wrong with THE comfort food of all times! Nice golden crust and a luscious filling.
Mary Bergfeld said…
What a gorgeous pie. Your crust is outstanding. I'll have to give this one a try. Have a great day. Mary
Kerstin said…
What a comforting meal for a cold winter night! Your crust really does look perfect too!
This is a food from my childhood. I have not had pot pie in ages.

As a child, they came from the store and I was young enough to love them. I doubt, I would today.

This, on the other hand, strikes a chord and I would love it. I hate doing crusts so this will be a recipe I really want to make and put off. I need motivation.
Reanaclaire said…
I m practically drooling now over the fillings that seem to flow out from the pastry.. hmmmmmm.... looks super delicious!!
Lori said…
That does sound delicious. I love chicken pot pie. I havent made them in years.
Debbie, this looks terrific! So perfect to warm the tummy with the weather so cold! You did a fantastic job with the crust too.
Nutmeg Nanny said…
Delicious! This is perfect for the cold winter weather we are having around here. Yum!
Victor said…
I love pot pie, look so scrumptious!