Classic Yellow Cake with Milk Chocolate Frosting


This was the cake that I made for Christmas day (along with tons of cookies of course!). The cake was full of flavor, very good for a basic yellow cake but I did have a problem getting them out of their pans. I did not grease the side so it was really my own fault. My daughter in law raved about the cake and believe me, that girl and cook and bake. To me, the frosting was the star of this cake. I absolutely loved the milk chocolate frosting. Normally I like a very dark, deep chocolate frosting but this was delicious and so easy. This recipe comes from the Dec 2009 issue of Family Circle magazine.


They are calling for snow here again tonight. Ugh! It's supposed to only be light though - maybe 1 - 3 inches, which is nothing compared to what we were recently bombarded with. But it will probably be enough to close the schools. The schools here in Virginia close at the drop of the first snowflake. Probably for the best really, since most people here don't have a clue how to drive when it snows. Anyhow, if you are looking to make a tasty cake, give this one a try. Just grease the bottom and side of the pans really well!


Classic Yellow Cake


3 1/2 cups all purpose flour plus more for dusting pans

1 tablespoon plus 1/4 teaspoon baking powder

3/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened

1 3/4 cups sugar

4 large eggs

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 cup milk


Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Coat two 9 inch round baking pans with nonstick cooking spray. Dust with flour and discard excess (You can also use a 13 x 9 x 2 in pan).

Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a small bowl.

With an electric mixer set on medium, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Beat in vanilla.

On low speed, alternately beat in flour mixture and milk, beginning and ending with flour. Spread batter into prepared pans, dividing equally.

Bake at 325 degrees F for 40 to 43 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool layers in pans on wire rack for 10 minutes. Run a knife around pan edges and turn cakes out to cool completely on racks. Once cooled, spread with Milk Chocolate Frosting.


Milk Chocolate Frosting


4 bars (1.55 ounces each) milk chocolate, broken up (I used Hershey's)

1 box (1 pound) confectioners' sugar

6 tablespoons milk

1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/8 teaspoon salt


Place chocolate in a small saucepan. Melt over medium-low heat, about 3 minutes. Cool slightly.

Combine 1 cup of the confectioners' sugar, the milk, butter, vanilla and salt in a large bowl. Beat with electric mixer on medium speed about 1 minute. Add melted chocolate and beat until smooth.

Gradually beat in remaining sugar until good spreading consistency. (I did not use the whole box).


Comments

noble pig said…
Oh how yummy, love that milk chocolate frosting!!
Chef Fresco said…
Oh I bet that was delicious! And I loved your picture post! :)
George Gaston said…
Debbie, your cake is simple perfection! And looks so delicious.

Hope you and your family had a wonderful holiday and the New Year will bring many more great post like this. Happy New Years!
I want to dive face-first into that cake, I swear.

Snowing here too, but we're used to it. Well, except for the dog. He acts like he's paralyzed if he has to step on snow.
Jenn said…
A yummy cake for a happy occasion. It looks very festive and I'm sure those to had a bite those who had a bite of this loved it.


Stay warm!
Reeni said…
I just love milk chocolate! This looks scrumptious! You can't beat a good cake.
justjoycee said…
This cake looks sooo good and I am going to make it this weekend.....frosting looks soooo yummy!

No snow here in Miami, but I am loving the 40 degree weather.....never seen snow, so that would be awesome!!!
Donna-FFW said…
Milk chocolate frosting sounds good to me. The cake looks pretty with the sprinkles and cherries.

We are forecasted (is that a word) to have about the same amoutn of snow as you. Please no, the kids need to go to school and learn.. and mom needs to do things:)
Nutmeg Nanny said…
Oh man that milk chocolate frosting sounds amazing! I would totally go for a taste of that right now :)
Joanne said…
I LOVE yellow cake. But have never really found a good recipe for it that doesn't include a boxed cake mix. This looks fantastic! I understand why your daughter-in-law was impressed. Well done.
The Blonde Duck said…
Yellow cake with chocolate frosting is my husband's favorite!
June said…
Hey Debbie - love your blog too! I'll be thanking Mags for engineering the introduction. This cake looks incredible and that frosting - oooh ya! Not snowing here though it's only 40, which is darned cold to us whimps in Tucson.
teresa said…
we woke up to snow this morning, ugh, it takes everything i have to leave the house!

the cake looks amazing! i want to eat the whole thing. yellow cake is my fave!
Mary Bergfeld said…
Your milk chocolate frosting is the stuff dreams are made of. The cake looks delicious.
Katy ~ said…
This is kind of cake and frosting is one of my all time FAVORITES. My stomach is growing at the thought of having a nice FAT wedge of this!!

I am struggling not to go into the kitchen and make this!!
NKP said…
A very grand cake indeed!
As for snow - at least it is "warm enough for snow!". We are in a deep freeze, too cold for snow. Well.. at least I don't have to shovel! Today anyway..
Judy said…
Yellow cake with choc frosting is any man's favorite. This looks great.
I'm making this in the morning for my son's teacher who has a birthday on Monday. Thanks for sharing!
Ingrid_3Bs said…
This looks like the yellow cake to sway my brother into forgoing his grocery store yellow cake and chocolate frosting! Thanks, he constantly rubs in how I haven't made a dessert to rival that one. :)

I'm making your eggnog one tonight!
~ingrid
Monica H said…
Is this the same yellow cake you commented about on my blog? It sure doesn't look disappointing! But maybe it's that creamy milk chocolate frosting :-)
Jennifer said…
Perfect timing, I am making a friends bday cake for his kid and the only kind of frosting I know is whipped cream and I am afraid of buttercream so this is perfect!
Alice Thomas said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
tax attorney said…
I been browsing through different sites each day and yours is an interesting one. We may differ in beliefs and interest but I surely could relate in your way of writing. I’m looking forward to read and as well as share some knowledgeable information with you soon.
paycheck loan said…
I been browsing through different sites each day and yours is an interesting one. We may differ in beliefs and interest but I surely could relate in your way of writing. I’m looking forward to read and as well as share some knowledgeable information with you soon.
I could tell how great you are in your field of interest. You could relate in each detail very well. Thank you for spending a time on sharing such informative writings to us. I will bookmark your page and looking forward to read some more of your writings soon.