Julia Child's Boeuf Bourguignon


This is probably the most involved recipe that I've made to date. I really would not be a good judge of this dish since I really don't care much for this type of beef. My husband on the other hand loves these types of meals and he said it was very good. He enjoyed it very much and ate most of it. My 10 year old, needless to say, did not like it at all. I did love the gravy, since it had lots of wine in it. I do love sauces and gravies made with wine. I also have to say that I followed the recipe exactly as written and my gravy came out with the perfect consistency. I did not have to thin it out or thicken it up. Perfect. I couldn't find the onions the recipe called for so I used jarred ones but did brown them nicely. The inspiration for me making this, of course, was the movie which I loved. I plan on making more of the recipes from Julia's book, but not too often since they involve lots of time and work. But the effort is well worth it. I am not going to post this recipe myself since it is soooo long, but you can find it here. (This link also has a video you can watch of Julie Powell cooking Julia's recipe while she is being interviewed and also has some clips of Julia Child cooking. It really is worth watching.)

We are leaving tomorrow morning for Graves Mountain which is a wonderful mountain lodge with homestyle, home cooked meals! All the desserts have something baked with apples and ice cream on the side. Dessert comes with lunch and dinner. Nothing like putting on a few easy "weekend" pounds!!! The lodge has a huge apple festival in October every year so we always come home with a boxful....Look for lots of apple recipes from me in the next few weeks. Please feel free to let me know if you have any good apple recipes for pies, cakes, etc.....I'd love some suggestions!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Comments

Heather said…
i've been wanting to try this since i saw julie and julia. it looks yummy :) that gravy does look perfect!
Donna-FFW said…
I have also always wanted to try this. It may happen this winter. Looks great.

Have a fun weekend.
Bunny said…
I'm going to check the link out, have a nice weekend! I made the salisbury steak and the family LOVED it!! I'll be making it again!
Mini Baker said…
how funny!!! my mom just made this for me last weekend!
It was delicious!
Barbara Bakes said…
I've been wanting to makes this since seeing the movie too! Have a great weekend. I'll look forward to your apple recipes!
Monica H said…
This looks delicious. I'm sure my husband and I would love this. that sauce, oooh that sauce!

great job Debbie.
Emily said…
It looks good! I bet it was amazing and flavorful.
Nutmeg Nanny said…
This looks great! If you have issues trying to find the little onions sometimes you can find pearl onions in the freezer section of the grocery store. They work perfect.
Cassie said…
That looks delicious, Debbie! I'm seeing the movie this weekend so I'm sure it will probably inspire me to try this too. Have a great weekend away!
Pam said…
I think it looks hearty and delicious. Have fun in the mountains.
Jennifer said…
Ohhhh I cant wait to make that, when it gets a bit colder I shall!
teresa said…
this sounds just wonderful! have a wonderful time!
Mary Bergfeld said…
What a nice job you did! She would be proud of you. Have a great day.
Katy ~ said…
My Sweetie-Pi, who LOVES beef, would slay dragons for me if I made him this, I think. It looks positively wonderful!

Hope you have a nice weekend!
Jenn said…
Nice. I still need to try that. Though, I'm a bit hesitant as I can easy screw it up. lol. I will one day try.
Joyce said…
I applaud you for making Julia's recipe. The weekend with the apple treats and ice cream sounds wonderful. Have fun!
Joyce
noble pig said…
I love this recipe and bravo for doing it!

Enjoy your trip!
Kerstin said…
I hope you have a fabulous vacation! I just went apple picking too and can't wait to see what you do with yours.

I've been meaning to make this dish ever since I saw the movie too!
Reeni said…
My Mom and I were just talking about this dish yesterday. I bet it was delicious - you did a great job on it. Hope your enjoying your weekend!
Cate O'Malley said…
I actually bought the cookbook to make that recipe. Apple recipes? Cooking Light's Cinnamon Apple Cake is my go-to Fall recipes after we go apple picking.
Judy said…
I love boeuf bourguignon! Don't make it often, but it is the bomb. I do have a new apple recipe that I'll be posting soon. I actually made an apple pie tonight for company sweetened only with stevia and apple juice concentrate and it was fantastic.
Amanda said…
I had the book from the library but had to return it :( I made several things and they were all good, didn't get a chance to try this though and I keep seeing it around. Glad your hubs liked it!

As for apple desserts, there's something on my blog called Milopitas, it's a Greek apple pastry, more of a soft cake than a pie. It's very good!
Claudia said…
This is the best recipe! I love the links - I cannot see those videos too many times - so enjoyable. And a delicious dish!
Manggy said…
Have a great weekend away! Maybe you might like this in pie form ;)
Lori said…
I am so glad we tried this. I made it soon after I saw the movie. I think the beef industry owes that movie some money.

Hope you enjoyed your week end.