Lemon Blueberry Diamonds (Squares)


I had just gotten my new issue of Family Circle magazine in the mail yesterday and when I came across these I knew I had to make them NOW! I had everything I needed in the fridge so it worked out well. There is something about having a lemon bar with a cup of coffee that I just love. And they are so refreshing this time of year. I did have two problems making these though. The recipe called for using nonstick foil. Nonstick foil? I had never heard of that so I just lined my plan with regular foil and used a nonstick spray. It worked so so. I had a really hard time getting these off the foil. Have any of you ever heard of nonstick foil? I think next time I make these I will just use parchment paper. That may work better. The other strange thing that happened was that I let the filling sit for a few minutes since my crust was not quite browned enough when I finished making the filling. Well after a few minutes I poured it over the crust and it looked a bit curdled and baked that way. I can only assume it was from letting the eggs and lemon sit together and it probably should have been poured onto the crust immediately. Has this ever happened to you? Nevertheless, these were great. Love the pairing of the lemon and blueberry together. I do get several cooking magazines monthly (big surprise!) and this month's Family Circle does have quite a few really good recipes I want to try.

Have a great weekend everyone. I'm going down to Richmond again this weekend to see my new granddaughter!!!! Can't stay away from that cutie! (Please excuse the blurriness of this pic...don't know what happenend).

Crust
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 1/4 cups flour

Lemon Filling
2 cups granulated sugar
1/3 cup flour
6 large eggs
2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 cup blueberries, rinsed
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar

Heat oven to 350F. Line a 9x13x2 inch pan with nonstick foil.

Crust
In a medium size bowl, stir together butter, confectioners' sugar, vanilla and salt. Gradually stir in flour until smooth. Press dough evenly over bottom of prepared pan.
Bake crust at 350F for 20 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.

Filling
In a large bowl, mix granulated sugar and flour. Whisk in eggs until smooth. Stir in lemon rind and juice. Fold in berries. Pour filling over crust.

Bake at 350F for 30 minutes or until set. Let cool in pan on wire rack. Dust with the confectioners' sugar. Cut into diamonds. (I did squares.)

Comments

Barbara Bakes said…
Blueberries sound like a great addition to lemon bars - one of my favorite desserts!
Judy said…
Debbie - nonstick foil is a new product by Reynolds, and comes in very handy for things like this. You can find it in the aluminum foil section of your grocery store. These bars look delicious. Blueberries & lemon go so well together.
Mary said…
These squares seem terrific!
Nice summer dessert! I usually spray the foil too.
Donna-FFW said…
This looks gorgeous. I saw this in FC also..

Reynolds carries a nonstick foil, but Ive never used it. I use parchment.

Have fun visiting your granddaughter!!
Jennifer said…
That looks yummy I am on a blueberry kick lately! Yep I have some non-stick foil, it was really popular for awhile but I havent seen any commercials for awhile now.
Pam said…
Wow - these look and sound wonderful. MMmmm.
Reynolds used to make a non-stick foil but I don't know if it's still on the shelves or not.

They do look fabulous Debbie, I'm like you, i like lemon in everything and a cup of coffee just makes it all the more special!
Denise said…
I love parchmant paper, my sister got me hooked. These are very summery and refreshing looking.
Vrinda said…
Blueberries and lemon,sounds like a great combo..looks absolutely delicious..
Jenn said…
Blueberries and lemon. Delish. That reminds me I haven't had blueberry yet this summer. I must remedy that asap.
La Bella Cooks said…
I can just imagine how delicious the combo of blueberries and the tart lemon tastes. Wow, I definitely need to give this a try!
Pamela said…
This is one of those things that makes me think, "now, why didn't I think of that??" They look great.
Reeni said…
These look delicious! I love lemon and blueberry too. Have a great weekend!
Anonymous said…
Aww, have a great time with your granddaughter! Does she like you baking too?
Katy ~ said…
I bought nonstick foil by mistake the last time. I think it's pricey, but it seemed to work well for some sticky chicken that I made.

These bars look so good! I would love to sit with you over a cup of coffee and indulge in these!
Anonymous said…
I love the combo of lemon and blueberries in these delicious looking squares! Have a wonderful time with your granddaughter!
Ingrid_3Bs said…
I love the combination of lemon and berries.

I have that nonstick aluminum foil. It's a bit pricey and use it sparingly. Reynolds makes it. I believe it has gold writing on it.
~ingrid
Emily said…
These look terrific. I love the lemon-blueberry combo. I'm not sure what happened. I'm guessing what you said is correct, haha.
noble pig said…
Glad you tried this, I saw this recipe too!
Manggy said…
Oh, how I'd love to have blueberries just sitting in the fridge :( They look absolytely lovely and I'm sure I'd finish these in no time! :)
Talita said…
Delicious squares! Love the combination! Sounds really yummy!
Bunny said…
Ok I'm making these, I have bluebberries to use up asap! I LOVE the combination of blueberries and lemon! So should I wait till the crust is done, then make the filling??? Have a wonderful time with the new grandbaby!!
Chef Fresco said…
Thanks for visiting our site & congrats on your new granddaughter! These squares look yummy!
These are addictive looking bars, Debbie...I need them to go with my morning coffee! :)
Allison said…
I saw this recipe in Family Circle too! I made the Grape Granola bars that are in that same section and they were delicious... I was thinking of trying this Lemon Blueberry Diamond one because of the excessive amount of blueberries we have on hand. Yours look absolutely delicious!
Spryte said…
I LOVE lemon & blueberries together and I have all the stuff to make these... if the weather would only cool off!!