Dark Chocolate Orange Shortbread


It feels very strange posting a recipe again since I feel like it's been ages since I have even cooked! I barely cooked, let alone baked while I was away. I baked these shortbread cookies a while back and they were delicious. I found them over at Two Peas and their Pod. These have a distinct orange flavor to them which just pairs wonderfully with the dark chocolate. Irresitable to me! Very simple too! One of these days I am going to start cooking from my cookbooks again! I always plan to try something new from them but along comes something that I've seen on someone else's food blog that I have to make......It almost makes me think I have Attention Deficit Disorder to food!!! Can't stay on track...always changing my mind when I see something new! Can anyone out there relate?!

2 sticks unsalted butter
1 tsp salt
Zest of 2 oranges
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/3 cups flour
1 cup dark chocolate, chopped into tiny pieces

Preheat over to 300F. Grease 2 9" cake pans.
Place sugar and orange zest in a bowl and rub the zest in using your fingers.
In a large mixing bowl cream together butter, sugar/orange mix, salt and vanilla.
Chop chocolate. You want the pieces a little smaller than chocolate chips.
Beat flour and chocolate with the butter mixture until well combined.
Divide the dough in half and press into prepared cake pans. Make sure each pan is even.
Smooth the surface and prick the dough with a fork.
Bake for 40 minutes until golden brown.
Remove and loosen edges with a knife. Wait 5 minutes, then carefully place the shortbread out onto a clean work surface. Using a pizza wheel or knife, cut into wedges while still warm.

Comments

Jenn said…
Oooo...dark chocolate. I love it!!!
Mar Varela said…
Absoluty delicious!
A kiss from Spain
Denise said…
I love this flavor combo, I may have to try these and see if I could add them to my holiday tray, they look that good.
I love this combination. Bookmarked!
nice short breads - makes me want to drink tea.....
Preston said…
Great recipe! Read your review over at Blond Duck and just had to stop by and check out your blog.

If you get a chance, stop by and enter my contest for a Nanny McPhee DVD, electronic catch phrase, and a $25 Target Gift card. BTW, my word verification was "powerbo." Gotta figure a way to use that word in a sentence.
Joyce said…
These flavors are always ones that make my tastebuds sing:) I know what you mean about not even opening all my cookbooks since there are so many tasty recipes floating around in blog space these days. I was on vacation last month and I kept reading so many wonderful recipes and did not have a printer so now I must have 100+ recipes bookmarked so who needs a cookbook really?
Joyce
I definitely can relate. I, too, have BADD (baking attention deficit disorder). I get paralyzed by the sheer volume of choices and end up getting nothing done.

Orange and dark chocolate are my husbands very favorite combo - he'll love these!
Justin said…
wow, this is so simple. i almost always have oranges in the house, but darn, i bought grapefruits this week...
Ingrid_3Bs said…
Oh, yes Debbie I can TOTALLY relate. It happens all the time.

I still haven't tried those flavors together. Orange and dark chocolate sounds good.

Welcome back! :)
~ingrid
Donna-FFW said…
Love orange/chocolate combo.. oneof my faves is Ina Gartens orange choc chip cake. So good. This shortbread sounds delicious!
Anonymous said…
cut it while warm...AND eat it while warm! Looks great!
Monica H said…
Ooh my mom would love these! Orange and chocolate is her weakness.

Yeah I do the same with blogger recipes. In fact I'll see something that's on a blog and I bookmark it only to realize that same recipe was in a cookbook I already had! oh well, sometimes it's nice to see someone else make it to convince you it's that good :-)
Mary said…
These short bread seems fantastic!
Emily said…
Yum! I friggin love shortbread! Looks great.
Mary Bergfeld said…
These sound absolutely delicious.
Judy said…
Ooooh. Love this recipe, so easy with great flavors. Isn't shortbread the bomb? Add orange zest and chocolate chunks and it's over the top good! I'll be making these soon.
Anonymous said…
Delicious cookies - the chocolate and orange combo sounds excellent!
Jennifer said…
Those look yummy! I have the same problem too many good blogs that I hardly ever crack my cookbooks!
The Blonde Duck said…
When it's hot out, it's hard to cook. I totally agree.
So glad you're back Debbie. I'm with you, orange and chocolate just does it for me. they look wonderful.
Katy ~ said…
Orange and chocolate, a true love affair!
La Bella Cooks said…
This looks and sounds so indulgent!
Reeni said…
I love the flavors in these - such scrumptious little treats these are!
Manggy said…
Welcome back Debbie! Nice to see you're back in the groove with these delicious treats! :)
NKP said…
I can relate!
I have 3 foodie mag subscriptions, plus Martha, 300+ cookbooks, and growing..
Congrats on your new grand-baby!!!!
The shortbread pieces look big or maybe it's the angle of the picture. I would eat it all for sure anyways. It looks so delicious. Dark chocolate and orange are a great pairing
Pam said…
My orange/chocolate loving husband would be so happy if I made this. It looks really tasty.
Amanda said…
Can I relate?? That's totally me! LOL I can't believe how many print outs and bookmarks I have, let alone cookbooks AND cookbooks from the library LOL