Monday, July 6, 2009

Watermelon Basket and Macaroni Salad



Hope you all had a nice 4th of July. The weather here in Virginia was perfect on the 4th. Normally it is very humid and I can even remember rain on and off on the 4th for the past few years. But not this year! We went to a BBQ at a friends house which we do every year. Needless to say lots of good food was eaten all day long....too much in fact! We brought a watermelon basket, macaroni salad and an upside down peach cake that was fabulous (I'll be postiing that later this week). If you think I carved out the watermelon basket, you're wrong! My husband did that. I am not that talented! He has worked in the catering field for over 20 years and could probably carve one in his sleep. I made the macaroni salad which is pretty simple. I son really loves the macaroni salad probably because it is very simple and only has a few ingredients. These measurements are not exact but I've tried to come as close as possible!

3/4 16 oz box of elbow macaroni
1/2 cup (or more to taste) of light mayo
2 tomatoes
1 large cucumber
celery salt to taste

Cook elbow macaroni according to package directions and rinse with cold water and drain well. Add 1/2 cup light mayo or more to taste and celery salt and mix well. Add chopped vegetables and mix well.

32 comments:

Lisa said...

Happy belated 4th! Wow! The watermelon basket is beautiful! When will your husband be teaching us to do that?

Joyce said...

Now a husband who was in the food business is a match made in heaven:)
Awaiting the peach recipe:)
Joyce

Ingrid said...

Hope you had a happy 4th!
~ingrid

Mary said...

The watermelon basket is gorgeous. I can't wait till you post the peach cake. Have a great day.

Manggy said...

Very pretty! Here we like our mac salad with pineapple and sweet pickle relish (oh gosh, are we all just a bunch of sweet teeth?)!

Pamela said...

It was a fantastic weekend and the weather here was utterly amazing. I can't remember a 4th of July that didn't end with the AC on full blast at night. Here, it was actually cool. Beautiful! Anyway, love that watermelon basket!! Glad you had a great weekend.

noble pig said...

That basket was beautiful and I love a good macaroni salad!

Cheryl said...

Dang I wish my husbad was that talented, it is certainly beautiful! I have never thought of cucumbers in mac salad, I love the idea!

Donna-FFW said...

Gorgeous watermelon basket. The macaroni salad is so tasty looking. What beautiful contributions. You can come to my parties any time.

The Blonde Duck said...

I love that cute watermelon basket!

finsmom said...

Love that watermelon basket - so pretty! Great job!

Coleen's Recipes said...

Great job on the watermelon basket, I've always wanted to make one!

Reeni♥ said...

Your watermelon basket is so pretty! And your macaroni sounds great!

teresa said...

What a beautiful basket! I love it! The salad looks fantastic!

Sara said...

I have always wanted to learn to make a watermelon basket, it looks so cool!

Jenn said...

Cute watermelon basket. I think I can eat that whole thing. Maybe.

I love macaroni salad. I used to eat that all the time until I had too much of it and had to stopping eating it for a while, but now I'm back to loving it again.

Mary said...

Your watermeon basket is so fantastic , really nice to present and the macaroni salad , i love it!

Barbara Bakes said...

Beautiful basket! I haven't made macaroni salad for a long time. Thanks for the inspiration!

Melody said...

Props to your hubby for the basket. It is beautiful. I love a simple macaroni salad too. Glad you had a nice 4th!

Ingrid said...

Your honey did a fantastic job! WOW!

Hope you had a wonderful 4th!
~ingrid

Emily said...

Macaroni salad is perfect for the summertime. I love your watermelon basket! I made one of those a few years ago for my sister's wedding. I remember it being hard to carve.

Cate O'Malley said...

That watermelon basket is gorgeous - quite the talent!

Judy said...

Nice watermelon basket, kudos to your hubby! Macaroni salad is always good for a holiday.

Pearl said...

oh that watermelon basket is too exquisite!

Bridgett said...

Wow, your husband did a beautiful job, I love it. I hope you had a wonderful 4th.

♥Rosie♥ said...

Hi Debbie, Happy belated 4th July! Your watermelon basket is absolutely gorgeous!!

Peach cake wow can't wait for this :0)

Katy ~ said...

The watermelon basket is so festive. Well done!

I love a simple macaroni salad, too. YUM

Lynda said...

Love your watermelon basket- your hubby should should be a guest blogger and teach us to do that!
Macaroni salad is a must in the summer- you can add almost anything to it and it's delicious!

Monica H said...

I'm amazed your husband carved that all by himself. i am surely impressed!

Hope you had a great 4th and I anxiously await your peach upside down cake!

Jamie said...

What a pretty basket!

Maris said...

The watermelon basket is beautiful! Hope you had a great weekend

Natashya said...

That watermelon basket is amazing! Now I want to try one... :)