Tropical Coconut Bread


Hope everyone has had a nice weekend and enjoyed Father's Day. I treated my husband to a boat ride over to Georgetown and a delicious lunch. We ate outside by the water in Georgetown and the weather was finally perfect! Warm but not humid! Afterwards we went to some nice stores in the area and took the boat back to Alexandria and had delicious desserts at a local bakery. Needless to say I am still stuffed...so much for dinner tonight!

I found this bread, which is really more like a cake over at Keeper Worthy Recipes. This is one bread that I know I will be making over and over again. Delicious! My husband and I both really liked it. My son didn't even try it....claims he doesn't like coconut. Well that's good, then there's more for me! Please check out Denise's blog for more great recipes....Thanks Denise!

(This will make 2 loaves, I used 8 x 4 in loaf pans)

3 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs, slightly beaten
2 tsp. coconut extract
1 cup buttermilk (I used 1 cup milk mixed with 1 tbs lemon juice)
1 cup shredded coconut

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
Do not use hand mixer for this recipe- use either a spoon or spatula, stir by hand.
In medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix well.
In large bowl, combine sugar, oil, eggs and coconut extract. Mix well.
Alternately add flour and buttermilk to sugar mixture and stir only until moist.
Stir in shredded coconut.
Pour into 2 prepared loaf pans, place on middle rack in oven and bake for 1 hour.

Comments

Katy ~ said…
What a great way to celebrate Father's Day. The day sounds perfect! We're planning a day cruise later on in the summer (if summer ever gets here ~ rain predicted here for the rest of the month!!)

The coconut bread sounds delicious. I'm a coconut lover, too!
Pearl said…
that coconut bread looks delicious!
Jenn said…
What a wonderful way to Celebrate Father's Day. I'm sure your buddy loved it.

The coconut bread looks fantastic. Mmmm...
You had me at coconut :)
Sounds amazing!
Jennifer said…
I cannot wait to make this, I saw it on her site too!
Manggy said…
I'm not a coconut fan myself, but I'm sure I'd put those feelings aside-- the bread just looks too good to pass up! :)
Coleens Recipes said…
With these ingredients, this cake is going to be even more moist on day two (which, in my opinion, is the sign of a great recipe).
Cori said…
Mmm... I bet this would be fabulous with a scoop of raspberry sorbet on a warm summer evening. Your son is missing out! Lovely blog!
Mary said…
Very nice , i love cocconut in any recipe!
Denise said…
Thank you so much for the shout out and the linc back, I appreciate it, and your bread looks awesome, it really is delicious...
Anonymous said…
Delicious coconut bread to celebrate Father's day! Yum!
Mary Bergfeld said…
This sounds like a delicious coconut bread. It's just been put on my hit list. Have a wonderful day.
Ingrid_3Bs said…
Mine only do that with desserts. They'll turn their nose up but as soon as they see me or their Dad eating it they right away want a bite which leads to "oh, can we have a piece"!

I saw this on Denise's and thought it sounded and looked great! Guess I really need to give it a try.
~ingrid
Sara said…
Sounds delicious, I am a big coconut fan, although I know that a lot of people don't like it - I can't imagine why!
teresa said…
Mmmm, I want to make french toast out of this! This looks wonderful!
Reeni said…
This looks so moist, tender and delicious! I love coconut - I'll gladly eat your son's share!
I have everything for this. i am going to make it for everyone to snack on this week.
La Bella Cooks said…
What a tasty sounding bread. Perfect!
Donna-FFW said…
Looks delicious Debbi, I have this on my list to try, all ingredients handy too, now if I can just finish unpaking!
TATESAL said…
Receiving the award has come to my blog...With my love
foodcreate said…
What a perfect way to celebrate father's day. Wow! coconut bread sounds so dlcious, I love coconut.

Thanks for the reipe~

And you can visit me if I can visit you:)

Welcome~~~
http://foodcreate.com
Sara said…
I just came across your blog and you've got a lot of great recipes! This coconut bread looks amazing. I'll definately have to make this soon!
The Blonde Duck said…
That looks perfect for summer!
Barbara Bakes said…
I need to get some coconut extract and make this bread! It sounds so moist and delicious!
Monica H said…
This looks so moist and yummy!
Sounds like a great Father's Day!
This bread sounds delicious!