Indian Chicken Curry


This recipe is another one from the Woodlawn Plantation Cookbook. An old one but really good one. I'm finding more and more interesting recipes in this old book. The picture does not do this dish justice. It doesn't look all that appetizing but it was delicious. My husband had asked where I found this recipe and I immediately thought he didn't care for it. Turns out he thought the seasonings and spices were perfect. I'd never cooked anything before with coconut milk so that was something new. I tasted the coconut milk before I added it to the dish and it was so so. But it adds a lot to this dish. Of course my son was not at all interested in this dish. So I just made him some fried rice with the white rice I used in this recipe and also added chicken to it. This keeps everyone happy!

6 Tbs butter
1 small onion, minced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 Tbsp ginger
1 1/2 tsp salt (I used 1 tsp)
2 to 3 Tbs curry powder
2 cups coconut milk
1 cup chicken broth
6 Tbs cornstarch
3 cups diced chicken

Melt butter in large frying pan; add onion and garlic and cook over low heat five minutes. Add ginger, salt and curry powder. Combine coconut milk and chicken broth; blend in cornstarch and add to cooked onion. Stir over low heat until thickened. Add cooked chicken pieces. Heat well. Better if made a day or so ahead and reheated. Can be frozen. Serve with rice.

Comments

Judy said…
I love coconut milk. It's great in curries, but also in peanut sauce. It definitely adds something.
Denise said…
I love curry and I just so happen to have a can of coconut milk in the cabinet. Now I have a use for it. Looks delicious.
Donna-FFW said…
Never have cooked with coconut milk either. This definitely looks like a great recipe to begin with:)
Mary Bergfeld said…
I love coconut milk. How hot is the curry powder you use in this recipe.
This looks really tasty! Great photo!
Monica H said…
I just tossed out my coconut milk- I'll have to go get some more!
Jenn said…
Mmmm...looks delicious. Now I must add coconut milk to my grocery list.
♥Rosie♥ said…
This looks so tasty!! I just happen to have some coconut milk in -- ooooh curry perhaps for dinner??
Jennifer said…
I am pretty new to Curries, yours looks delish to me!
Reeni said…
I love curries! This looks like a delicious one!
What a Dish! said…
I love curries- this looks like a really yummy recipe.
teresa said…
I think curry and coconut milk taste great together, this looks wonderful!
Anonymous said…
This sounds simple and absolutely delish! Coconut milk adds such smoothness, richness, and intensity!
Kerstin said…
I love chicken curry, this looks great!
Katy ~ said…
...sounds svelte and sophisticated!