Wayne's Beef Macaroni and Cheese


I don't know what it is about Paula Deen's cooking but I am starting to become addicted to it. My husband has always liked Paula and has been watching her on Food Network for quite a while. He's been bringing home copies of her recipes often lately and even bought me a Paula cookbook for Mother's Day. Could that be a hint? If so, it's working!!! This recipe comes from Paula Deen's Kitchen Classics. I've made several of the recipes in the book and all have been really good. They've all turned out well. This is a very hearty dish that does go a long way and is great with a side salad and some thick crusty bread! Both my son and husband enjoyed it! I would definitely say this is kid friendly.

One 1 lb box elbow macaroni
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cups chopped green pepper
2 cups chopped onion
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
2 lbs lean ground beef
3 cups canned crushed tomatoes
Salt and pepper
1 teaspoon each dried basil, cumin and dried oregano
2 - 3 cups grated Cheddar cheese

Cook the macaroni according to directions; drain and set aside. Heat the oil in the skillet; add peppers, onion and garlic and saute until soft. Add the ground beef and saute until browned. Add the tomatoes, salt and pepper to taste and basil, cumin and oregano. In a large bowl, combine the macaroni and the beef mixture. Spread this mixture in a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Top with the cheese and bake at 350 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the cheese is lightly browned and bubbly. Ground turkey or chicken can be used in place of beef, if desired.

Comments

Coco said…
Found you over at Good Things Catered, and I really have enjoyed looking at your blog. This dish looks delicious and would definitely keep my hubby happy!
Cassie said…
Wow, that looks DELICIOUS! I love Paula, too!
Donna-FFW said…
Sounds like another winner, Debbie.. Have you ever tried her coleslaw, it has pecans, cranberries, etc?? its delicious!

I also like her gooey butter cakes:)
Anonymous said…
Men LOVE Paula Dean's recipes! It's so true! xox
Netts Nook said…
Looks just like Paula makes my husband loves Paula and anything she cooks. Good job.
Mary Bergfeld said…
This really does look good - homely, warm and inviting.
Manggy said…
With cheese, tomatoes, and meat, how can you go wrong right? ;)
Pam said…
Perfect comfort food. This looks hearty and tasty.
Sophie said…
Paula Deen knows how to make tasty comfort food, and this is definitely a tasty and comforting dish :).
April said…
Oh my! This looks so good!!
Heidi said…
I have made this dish too. I love paula and when she made this I thought it looked so good I had to try it. We liked it and it made a TON!
Pearl said…
paula dean has such a cute laugh!
teresa said…
My kind of dish! I love Paula Deen, I've never been disappointed!
The Blonde Duck said…
I've been wanting to make this forever!!!! I'm so glad you made it and liked it.
Jenn said…
That looks darn good! Mac and cheese = comfort food to the max!!
Debbie said…
It's comfort food! Good for that makes us feel good. That's what this looks like.
mmmmmm....mmmmm.... good.
Katy ~ said…
Paula's quite the lady isn't she? We enjoy her recipes as well. And of course, this would be no exception!
Justin said…
wow, i've made a lot of mac & cheese but never tried it with tomatoes... next time
Anonymous said…
sounds amazing! haha, your husband is cute with the little not-so-small hints that he brought home!
Bunny said…
My hubby goes out to get the bi monthy magazine for me LOL!! She certainly knows what our men love to eat!! It looks fantastic!
Elyse said…
I do love Paula! This dish sounds absolutely fabulous. Total comfort food--hearty and cheesy and delicious. I could go for a helping right now! Yes, it's midnight, but your pic made me hungry!
This one is a keeper. I've made this for my picky eaters and they love it.

Paula's recipes seem to be real down home earthy dishes. This looks great Debbie!
Anonymous said…
Sounds like a great family meal! Yum!
La Bella Cooks said…
Paula has such comforting and delicious dishes, but definitely not for those dieting types! There is not much better than a comforting plate of macaroni and cheese. I love the crusty top, that is my favorite part.
Anonymous said…
Comfort food to the max!
Aggie said…
Looks awesome! You can never go wrong with a Paula Dean recipe!
Jennifer said…
Girl that looks good! kid friendly equals Cheryl friendly, LOL!
Julie said…
Looks amazing, and now I'm hungry!
Sara said…
My husband would LOVE this! I don't think I've ever made a Paula Deen recipe before, but it's definitely time to start.
Ingrid_3Bs said…
I make something similar. This one sounds even tastier. Thanks for sharing.

Btw, did you know there's a new group out that's baking & cooking Paula's dishes? You might be interested in joining. Mommy's Kitchen has a post on it.
~ingrid
Emily said…
Oh wow. I love mac and cheese. I can't cook it, because I WILL eat it all.

This looks great!
Maria said…
Such a classic comfort food!
Yum! It's like a sloppy joe and mac n cheese all baked together.
NKP said…
I have been having a serious mac and cheese craving this week. You have convinced me that I really must have some.
test it comm said…
This mac & cheese sounds really good!