Strawberry Muffins


This recipe comes from the Woodlawn Plantation Cookbook published back in 1979. Woodlawn is a historical plantation near Mt. Vernon, Virginia not far from where we live. Mt. Vernon was the home of George Washington. This cookbook is comprised of recipes dating back to the early part of the 19th century. Many of these recipes are based upon foods that would have been available in Virginia in the first half of the 19th century or their modern equivalents. Anyhow, I think you get the basic idea. I have found several recipes in this book that I want to try and will be posting.

The strawberry muffins are very good but are basically a breakfast muffin. Their sweetness comes mainly from the strawberries. This is not a sweet or sugary muffin. I really liked them and I'm sure you could easily use any fruit you would like. I made the basic muffin recipe and just added strawberries. I will also post the recipe that they suggest usiing when using fruit. It might be a little sweeter since it uses brown sugar but I'm not sure since I haven't made them that way yet. They would also be very good warmed with some butter.

2 cups flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1/4 cup melted butter
1 cup milk

Preheat over to 425 degrees F. Grease one 12 cup muffin pan. Sift dry ingredients into a bowl. Beat together the egg, melted butter and milk and fold into dry ingredients quickly and lightly. DO NOT OVERMIX!!! Spoon into the muffin cups and bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Makes 12 regular size muffins or 24 tiny size ones.

Alternative when using fruit:

Subtitute brown sugar for plain sugar

Substitute sour cream for milk

Add 1 cup halved or quartered fresh strawberries or 1 whole cup blueberries

Comments

Coleens Recipes said…
I love working with old recipes. They are very versatile and you almost always have everything right in the pantry!!
Mary Bergfeld said…
These looks so good. I love to rework old recipes. Your muffins look delicious.
Jenn said…
Nice!! It's cool to give older recipes a modern touch. Looks very delicious. I wish I had some right now.
Reeni said…
These look so yummy! I bet they would be good with sour cream in them. I would love one of these for breakfast with a cup of tea!
noble pig said…
It must be the season, i just made strawberry muffins too!
Donna-FFW said…
Debbie- How funny I just made some strawberry muffins.. and Ihave a new banana one to post soon, I always think of you when Baking with bananas, why the association?
Kana said…
Great breakfast! You have some Trader Joe meringues coming your way my dear :) Pls email me your mailing address and it will be on its way!
Anonymous said…
I love old cookbooks like this - so neat! The strawberry muffins look just scrumptious!
These looks so good Debbie. What a find to have this vintage recipe. I have everything I need to make these. i may give it a try this week!
teresa said…
I need to become more of a breakfast person so that I'm making things like this! They are so pretty and look so yummy!
Manggy said…
Hey, I'm all for not-too-sweet muffins-- it's all too much eating dessert for breakfast :)
Pam said…
I love strawberry muffins - yours look so good.
Cate O'Malley said…
Looks like a great way to start the day!
Barbara Bakes said…
I've been seeing lots of great strawberry muffin recipes lately. This sounds easy and delicious. I wonder if you could substitute frozen strawberries.
Elyse said…
I think that these strawberry muffins look totally stellar. YUMMY! I love a not-too-sweet breakfast muffin; in fact, I could go for one right now. Sorry that I've been a bad commenter for the past couple of weeks; I just finished law school exams and am just now getting to my google reader!
Jennifer said…
Wow there is hardly any sugar, which would be perfect for me, thanks for sharing.
p.s. I am doing better each day, thanks for thinking of me, but this sucks sooo badly :(
The Blonde Duck said…
They look wonderful! I love breakfast muffins.
Denise said…
Thanks for visiting my blog. Its funny i have a huge vat of strawberries and need soemthing to do with them. will follow your blog
La Bella Cooks said…
These muffins look fabulous! I am so addicted to strawberries right now.
Anonymous said…
looks great! I think I'll prefer the sour cream to milk...would be so rich and moist with a tiny bit of tang!
Pamela said…
Mmmmm...what a tasty use for all of the fresh strawberries coming our way! Looks wonderful, Debbie.
Sara said…
These look delicious, I don't believe I've ever had strawberry muffins before. I'm going to try them soon with the berries from my yard!
Monica H said…
These look delish! i just had a strawberry white chocolate crumb topped muffin and it was fantastic. I've wanted to re-create it but I'm too lazy. I'll admire yours instead :-)
nath said…
Sweety muffins..with strawberry (my fav one) more delish! :)
Anonymous said…
Strawberry muffins sound delicious! Thanks for sharing.
Ingrid_3Bs said…
I have some strawberries that need to be eaten I'm going to give this a try!
~ingrid
Monica H said…
Warmed with butter? YES!

I've been wanting to make strawberry muffins or scones but I keep eating them before they make it to the oven :-)