Orange and Nut Squares


When I first made these cookie squares I wasn't sure whether or not I would post them. I had followed the recipe exactly as written but realized that the cookie dough really should not have been baked as long as it was. It really needed to be slightly underbaked. The dough was very hard and just as I suspected was difficult to slice. I did have a feeling though that the jam would soften the dough by the next day and all would be fine. That is exactly what happened. Evidently the jam soaked in the dough overnight and they were very easy to slice the next day and much softer also. They are very good and tasty and you can really use any flavor jam or combo that you would like. They are not the most delicate looking bars but are really quite tasty and you can definitely be creative with them. They're also so easy. Just remember to undercook the cookie dough a little and try to wait to slice them for several hours.....if you can!!!! This recipe is courtesy of Giada De Laurentis

1 package store bought sugar cookie dough
1 cup orange marmalade
1 1/2 cups assorted nuts, toasted and chopped (I used walnuts)
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips or chopped chocolate

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Spread the cookie dough out on a cookie sheet to 1/4 inch thickness (about 9 inches by 12 inches) using your fingertips. Bake for 25 minutes (I would check after 20). Let cool.
Spread the marmalade over the cookie. Sprinkle with nuts.
In a double boiler over very lightly simmering water, melt the chocolate. Dip a spoon in the melted chocolate and drizzle on top of the cookie. Let cool. Cut the cookie into 12 bars or squares. Serve or store in airtight container.

Comments

Mary Bergfeld said…
Thanks for the recipe and the tips. I'll bet these taste really good.
Katy ~ said…
Debbie, I think these cookies sound terrific! I really like the convenience of this recipe; sometimes I need a really good recipe fast, and this is just perfect! I'm going to save this.
Donna-FFW said…
Sounds quick, easy and delicious, love that you can use any combo and thanks for the tip on the dough time.
Jenn said…
I like easy. i glad they turned out alright the next day. They do look very delicious. I'll have to remember not to overbaked this when I try it.
These look so tasty for such an easy recipe! Thanks for sharing it with us!
Pam said…
Wow - these look and sound fantastic!
noble pig said…
I have some marmalade in the fridge I have to use up before I move...I'm making these!
teresa said…
I've noticed that a lot of my baked goods taste better the next day, I'm glad they worked out! These look really good!
Reeni said…
They sound like a tasty treat! I love Giada's recipes. Thanks for the tips.
These looks so good and gooey! I like that you can change it up and the dough tips really help someone like me who's not a baker like you are.
The Blonde Duck said…
Sing it with me...Sometimes you feel like a nut...sometimes an orange or nut square...
Sara said…
I remember seeing her make these on the show, they look so good!
La Bella Cooks said…
I always say I am going to try these when I see Giada make them on her show. It sounds so delicious with the chocolate and orange. Good tip on the cookie dough! I find it dries out very fast.
Emily said…
Mmm these bars sound so simple, easy and delicious. I love orange and chocolate together. Looks great!
Amanda said…
They look delicious! Glad it didn't end up being a bust, good thing you were patient :) I probably would have chucked them LOL
Barbara Bakes said…
Sounds like a great combination of flavors. I love a chocolate orange at Christmas time.
Anonymous said…
I have some sugar cookie dough leftover that would work perfectly for this. I love the combination of orange and chocolate.

Thanks for the tips!

Thanks for visiting my little blog!
Bunny said…
I love sugar cookie so I'm looking forward to making these!
test it comm said…
Those bars look really good! I really like that orange and chocolate combo.
Anonymous said…
wow this sounds glorious! marmalade? coooool~
Cate O'Malley said…
Haven't had a bad Giada recipe yet - this one looks like another winner.
Monica H said…
drool! My mom would love these- she loves anything orange.
Melody said…
This is my favorite flavor combination! Thanks for the tips and the great recipe!
Ingrid_3Bs said…
I'm always leery of recipes that call for a layer to be partially baked. You have to be SO careful not to over bake! Glad to hear yours worked out in the end.
~ingrid
Sophie said…
I don't see orange enough in cookies or squares, this looks very yummy :).