Jamaican Banana Bread


I found this recipe recently from a newspaper. I have absolutely no clue as to which newspaper though. My pile of recipes that I want to try has grown from a few to a stack that are bulging out of a folder. I don't know when I will ever find the time to try them all. And of course, I add more all the time! Seems every day I want to try something I have seen on someone else's blog so I don't get around to making anything from my pile! Oh well......I did make this! It is a very, very good banana bread. I didn't have any of the oil the recipe calls for so I just used vegetable oil and the bread turned out great. It has a wonderful flavor and the next time I make it I might try using some coconut. I also used the lemon juice instead of rum, but I might try the rum next time too.

1 1/2 cups flour, plus another tablespoon for coating the nuts
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1/2 cup coconut, grape-seed or light peanut oil, or a mixture of all three (I used vegetable oil)
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1 cup mashed ripe bananas
3 or 4 tablespoons dark rum or lemon juice
2 teaspoons ground allspice
1 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat over to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9x5 inch loaf pan or a 6 cup ring mold pan or cake pan, and dust lightly with flour. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and set aside.

Combine eggs, oil and sugar in a large bowl, and beat vigorously with a wire whisk or an electric hand mixer for a few minutes until well blended. Add the mashed bananas, rum or lemon juice, and allspice and beat until just smooth.

Stir in the flour and leavening, mixing only until blended. Coat the walnuts all over with the 1 tablespoon of flour and stir into the batter. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and shake the pan gently to settle the batter.

Set the filled pan in the middle of the oven and bake the bread for 55 minutes or until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, but still moist. When done, set the pan of bread on a wire rack and cool for 10 minutes. Then turn the bread out of the pan and serve warm, if desired.

(I never have banana bread warm and I always let it cool off 90% and while it is still very slightly warm wrap it in plastic wrap and then tin foil and have it the next day. It has always tasted much better this way.)

Comments

Mary Bergfeld said…
Very nice recipe. Rapeseed oil is canola oil. It was renamed because people showed real resistance to buying the oil with its original name.
Heather said…
ohhhh. this sounds lovely!
Veronica said…
I'll bet using coconut oil would give it a nice flavor...but I probably would just use vegetable oil too because that and olive oil are usually the only ones I have in the house!
Jenn said…
Looks good. I love Bananas and bread. And I love banana brad. =)
noble pig said…
Oh I would use the coconut oil and the rum. Yum.
Justin said…
i've written about banana bread recently AND Jamaican food recently, but Jamaican banana bread never occurred to me. sounds good.
Deborah said…
What a great banana bread twist!
Manggy said…
Don't worry, vegetable oil is usually palm oil, and it's pretty indistinguishable from coconut oil :) I love me some banana bread. It looks delicious! :)
Katy ~ said…
Recipe sounds very good indeed. I'm on the lookout for the perfect banana bread recipe.

LOL about the folder of recipes. Right now I have three that are falling apart because they are so overfilled. I went through and culled one, but it's still overflowing.
Donna-FFW said…
Nice different take on banana bread Debbie. It looks fantastic. As you know I love baking with bananas. Id like to try this with the rum. Yes, along with a shot of rum too.
Kana said…
I clip recipes and dump them in a shoe box:)Rum would be yum in this recipe!
Anonymous said…
I love this Jamaican twist on the banana bread especially the addition of run - yum!
Amanda said…
Yay, another banana bread to try! :)
NKP said…
I love the run and alspice in there, nice! My daughter just returned from Cuba and brought her mom (me) a giant bottle of rum.
Cassie said…
What a great twist on banana bread! I may have to try this next time I have some ripe bananas lying around (which is pretty much all the time; my son loves bananas). Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Pam said…
I don't have any of those oils either. Your bread looks like it turned out just perfect.
Cate O'Malley said…
I have three overly ripe bananas sitting on my counter, just waiting for a new banana bread recipe to leap into - yours sounds great!
Reeni said…
How delicious!! I think the coconut would be great in it!
Anonymous said…
It sounds great! I hate it when I cut out a recipe but forget where it came from.
The Blonde Duck said…
I LOVE banana bread. Yup, 8 cups is correct. But unless you're using a deep-dish pie or making meringue, I would cut it in half--it made a ton!
I love all things banana bread. This is looks like a really delicious variation. i just wish I could keep bananas around long enough to make banana bread.
Sara said…
I love banana bread, I can never get enough recipes for it either! This looks particularly delicious.
Selba said…
What a nice banana bread!
Coleens Recipes said…
This sounds excellent, I have a big bowl of ripe bananas, so this comes in handy. I doubt if I would buy a bottle of rum just for a recipe, so I usually use rum extract. I will certainly try this.
Netts Nook said…
I love the coconut oil. Looks like a slice of Heaven. Good Job
Emily said…
I love tropical flavors, so I know I would like this bread. I would try using the rum next time, too. Looks wonderful!
Anonymous said…
banana with rum! how amazing...I think you're supposed to use Jamaican rum so it's called Jamaican banana bread, right?
and with coconut oil...wow! I would rub it all over myself for the FRAGRANCE!
teresa said…
What cool flavors, I've always wanted to try baking with different oils!
Bunny said…
I know what you mean about the recipes! I have stacks of magazines with recipes and still make off other peoples blogs! I'm glad you got to make one of your recipes!
test it comm said…
I like doing flavoured banana breads like this. This one sounds really good!