Almond Danish Swirls


This is such an easy little pastry to make and is it ever tasty!!! They are very impressive also. No one would even suspect how easy these little babies are to make. Of course, this is another winner from Paula Deen. Again, one of the many recipes my husband has requested I try.

I am looking forward to a nice long weekend. Think we all need a break here! The weather here is cooperating also....let's just hope it holds out for the whole weekend. The pools here all open this weekend but I have a feeling they will be extremely cold! I'm not one to brave that but my 10 year old is. I don't know what it is but kids are just not bothered by how cold the water is! Maybe they are too busy having fun! Have a great, long weekend everyone!!!

6 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup slivered almonds, chopped fine
2 (8 ounce) cans refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
1 egg white
1 teaspoon water

Glaze:

1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
4 teaspoons milk
1/2 teaspoon almond extract

In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, almond extract and sugar until fluffy. Fold half of the chopped almonds into the cream cheese mixture. Separate one can of dough and assemble into 4 rectangles. Firmly press the perforations to seal. Press or roll each piece of dough to form a 7 by 4 inch rectangle, and spread each with about 2 tablespoons of the cream cheese filling to within 1/4 inch of the edges. Starting at the short end, roll each rectangle tightly into a cylinder. Repeat with the other can of dough and remaining filling.

Place on a plate, cover with plastic wrap, and chill until firm, about 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, while the rolls are chilling.

Remove from the refrigerator and cut each roll into 4 slices. Place 1/2 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets. In a small bowl, combine the egg white and 1 teaspoon water. Brush over the swirls. Sprinkle with the remaining chopped almonds. Bake 1 to 20 minutes, or until light brown.

While the swirls are baking, combine the glaze ingredients in a small bowl. Cool the swirls for 3 minutes on wire racks placed over a sheet of waxed paper. Drizzle the icing over the warm swirls.

Note: The swirls can really be filled with any filling of your choice.

Comments

Selba said…
They look so yummy! Love almond flavor :)
Anonymous said…
ooh! I just saw this I think, on Paula Deen's show! gorgeous little gems!
Donna-FFW said…
This certainly looks like it is tasty, and so easy to make. Another winner Debbie, you have awesome choices!
Reeni said…
These look like such yummy little treats. The filling is just divine!
Cate O'Malley said…
Looks like a delicious way to start the day!
Anonymous said…
Yummy for breakfast! Love the almond flavor!
Jenn said…
I need some coffee stat!! That way I can eat a couple of those right now!!
Mary Bergfeld said…
These would be so perfect with a good strong coffee in the late afternoon. Your husband picked a winner - you and the cookies.
teresa said…
I love almond flavoring in baking, it's so good! These look wonderful!
Sandy Rev2B said…
They look really good. You're gonna have to cook for me next time I visit. FB me sometime!!!

Sandy
Katy said…
Debbie, what a lovely breakfast delight! There have been plenty of weekend mornings when I want to make something special but didn't have the time. These are just perfect! Good find. Thank you so much for posting this.
Pearl said…
have a wonderful long weekend and thanks for sharing this recipe!
Anonymous said…
OH YUM! Those looks absolutely divine!!
Netts Nook said…
Wow Debbie they look perfect I think I will serve my hubby breakfast in bed this weekend your Danish on the menu.
Lisa said…
Aren't crescent rolls just amazing! This looks like a wonderful breakfast treat and a good alternative to my favorite crescent dough cinnamon rolls. I'll have to try them.
Pam said…
These could be dangerous - I would eat WAY too many. They look drool worthy.
Pam said…
These could be dangerous - I would eat WAY too many. They look drool worthy.
Elyse said…
Ooo, I love how easy these are to make and how great they look!! Man oh man, I bet they're delicious. No one would ever guess how easy :) I can't wait to try these. I'm definitely going to make these the next time I need to impress some guests.
Ingrid_3Bs said…
It rainy wet and wetter here in the sunshine state! Hello, key word sunshine!! :(

I've made these and they are GOOD! Yours look wonderful!
Happy holiday weekend!
~ingrid
Bunny said…
Paula knows what she's doing doesn't she! These looks fantastic, I'd probably eat 1/2 of them myself!
Manggy said…
Have a happy weekend Debbie! :)
Dragon said…
Easy and delicious is my kind of dessert. :)
Anonymous said…
They look great! :) xox
Emily said…
Wow, these sound easy and delicious. I'm quite fond of danish but never get to eat it. Mmm.
Monica H said…
These look delish and sound so simple. I love recipes like this!