Phyllo Wrapped Asparagus


I served these with some leftover ham from Easter and boy were these ever good! I'd never had asparagus this way before and plan on making it many more times this way in the future. This is a Paula Deen recipe so you know it's another "husband request." I didn't have any phyllo so I used pastry dough instead since that was what I had on hand. Very easy to make also....

8 or 9 asparagus spears, depending on size
1/2 (16-ounce) package frozen phyllo dough sheets, thawed
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Snap off the tough ends of the asparagus. Unwrap the phyllo dough and cut the stack in half lengthwise. Reserve 1 stack for later use. Cover the phyllo with a damp towel to keep it from drying out. Take 1 sheet of phyllo and brush lightly with some melted butter. Sprinkle with some Parmesan. Place 2 to 3 asparagus spears on the short end of the sheet. Roll up, jellyroll style. Place each piece, seam side down, on a baking sheet. Brush with more melted butter and sprinkle with more Parmesan. Repeat until all the asparagus spears are used up. Place baking sheet in oven and bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Asparagus in phyllo sounds wonderful! I am definitely going to make that - I think it will be another preparation of asparagus that my daughter will like (she likes the soup too).
This sounds and looks fantastic! Using pastry dough or phyllo dough which my girls love, may be an easier seel to get them to eat something green.
NKP said…
I absolutely love this kind of dish. Phyllo is amazing.
teresa said…
Oooooh, this looks amazing. I love anything with asparagus!
April said…
Yum, these look delish! I love asparagus, and this variation looks great!
The asparagus has been good and plentiful lately. I love these cute little packages.
Cassie said…
I'm always looking for new ways to make asparagus. This looks yummy!
Jennifer said…
What a great idea, lovely presentation too!
Donna-FFW said…
This sounds absolutely perfect Debbie. I will have to try it. Asparagus is inexpesive here right now, so Ill be using it lots. Thanks for the idea.
Pearl said…
oh that looks like an excellent combination! thanks for sharing :D
Pam said…
Simple recipe yet it looks so fancy. Great post!
The Blonde Duck said…
I would have never thought of that! It looks so tasty!
Jenn said…
Nice!! It's like the asparagus are covered by a sleeping bag. LOL. But seriously that looks delicious.
Elyse said…
Mmm, this dish takes asparagus to new levels. I'm totally loving it. In fact, I need to get my hands on some phyllo and asparagus ASAP. You've made me really hungry!
noble pig said…
Looks like the perfect packet of yumminess. I love it.
Katy ~ said…
The asparagus bundles look charming and delicious. (smacking my lips)!!
Reeni said…
These look delicious! I love how the tips are peeking out the ends!
Bunny said…
This sounds and looks fantastic, it would definetly steal the show on any dinner plate!
Debbie said…
I have aspargus in my fridge right now...this looks like something different and good.
Coleens Recipes said…
What a pretty presentation!! This recipe will dress up ANY holiday plate.
test it comm said…
Asparagus wrapped in nice light flaky pastry...mmm...
Elizabeth said…
Oooh, yum! Both my husband and I love asparagus, this looks like a great way to prepare it.