Peach Mango Oatmeal Bread


The name of this bread says it all! This is one scrumptious bread. Definitely wait to eat it until the day after you bake it. I have found that quickbreads for the most part are the best the day after baking them. I found this at Natashya's food blog called Living in the Kitchen with Puppies.
Natashya has wonderful recipes and this is just one of many. My husband loved this bread and so do I. I like the idea of the whole wheat flour...makes me feel it's healthier! I also was looking for a recipe with mangoes. I love mangoes and have not baked with them often enough. The only change I made to this bread is to use all purpose flour instead of bread flour. I've never used bread flour and didn't want to go out and buy it if I could get away with all purpose flour. It seems to have worked out fine.

Spring break starts here today and I am looking very forward to a week of not having to constantly remind my son what time it is and that he needs to "hurry up" and get ready for school. A nice, welcome break. It will also be nice not hearing the alarm clock blast in my ear every morning too!!! Have a great weekend!

2 cups peeled , sliced peaches and mangoes, thawed if using frozen, well drained if using canned
2 cups whole wheat flour
3/4 cup unbleached bread flour (I used ap flour)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed light or brown sugar
1 Tbs baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmetg (this really adds flavor to the bread)
1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
2 large eggs
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup milk
1/4 tsp almond extract

Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan. Cut peaches and mangoes into small 1/4 inch pieces. Place in strainer to drain. Stir together flours, sugars, baking powder, soda, salt and spices in a large mixing bowl. Add oats, peaches and mangoes; stir to coat fruit. Beat together eggs, milk, oil and almond extract in small mixing bowl. Add to flour mixture, stirring until just evenly moistened. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 1 hour. If toothpick inserted in center does not come out clean, cover top of bread with foil and bake for 10 more minutes. Let rest 15 minutes before removing from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.

Comments

Jennifer said…
That looks delicious! I have some whole wheat flour and always wonder what to do with it
April said…
Oh yum!! This sounds delish!
Anonymous said…
This peach and mango bread sounds incredible! It would be so wonderful for breakfast!
Donna-FFW said…
This sounds fantastic, Debbie. I will be trying it. Love the combo of the mangoes and the peaches..MMMM!!
Pam said…
What a beautiful loaf of bread!
The Blonde Duck said…
It's just so hard to wait to eat it!
I remember her posting this bread. I'll have to give it a try, you have me sold. Yours loaf looks wonderful and moist!
NKP said…
So glad you liked it, it looks great!
that looks so god! i may have to try this out.
Flourchild said…
Wow does this bread look great. I love anything with oatmeal in it.
Reeni said…
This bread looks delicious! I loved it when I saw Natashya's and I love it here too!
Claudia said…
Looks luscious and easy and my daughter is currently having a love affair mangoes. Definitely a keeper.
Dragon said…
This bread looks so delicious! Yum!
Anonymous said…
bread flour just mean a harder flour, so that probably just means your bread is softer and cakier, which is better in my opinion! this peach and mango combo sounds awesome! and so healthy, too! I'm definitely making this sometime soon!
noble pig said…
With a side of yogurt...I'm in heaven.
Elyse said…
This bread sounds sooo delicious. Peaches AND mangoes?! Man, it's like you know exactly what you like. This bread sounds sooo fabulous. Can't wait to make it!
Coleens Recipes said…
We really enjoy quick-breads, but I've never tried a peach one. Thanks so much for the post.
Judy said…
This looks really good, Debbie. I love peaches and mangoes, two of my favorite fruits, and I love using them in just about anything and everything.
Lynda said…
This sounds delicious and so different!
I think quick breads are better if they sit for a day or so, too.
test it comm said…
Peach and mango bread sounds so good!