Orange Coffee Cake


Well I was going to post this recipe yesterday but we had no power. That is not a good thing when you have just washed your hair and need to blow it dry. To say my hair looked flat is an understatement. And of course I had made plans to go down to Richmond for the day and spend time with my family there. My two grown sons of course mentioned how flat my hair was right away - "What happened to your hair?" was the greeting even before hello! Luckily after a few hours the power was restored. Amazing how we get used to certain things and what we take for granted.

This recipe is very easy and very good. This is best served warm. It doesn't taste nearly as good after it sits for a day. It's another Paula Deen recipe and I have to say, she has not failed me yet. Every recipe of hers is pretty simple and good. This is kind of a semi homemade recipe since you use refrigerated biscuits! I really hope you give this a try because it is so simple and good. You'll be surprised!

2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 (16.3 ounce) can refrigerated biscuits (recommened: Pillsbury Grands Flaky Layers)
1/4 cup minced walnuts
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons orange zest

Glaze:

1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
2 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons orange juice, or more as necessary

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9-inch round cake pan.

Separate biscuit dough into 8 biscuits. Place 1 biscuit in the center of the pan. Cut the remaining biscuits in half, forming 14 half-circles. Arrange the pieces around the center biscuit with cut sides facing in the same direction. Brush melted butter over the tops of the biscuits.

In a small bowl, combine the walnuts, granulated sugar and orange zest. Mix well and sprinkle over biscuits. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine confectioners' sugar, cream cheese and orange juice. Blend until smooth adding more orange juice , if needed, to thin. Drizzle glaze over the warm coffee cake and serve.

Comments

April said…
Paula never lets me down either! :) This cake looks delish!
Donna-FFW said…
Oh this sounds terrific and looks great. I have to try some of her recipes. Ive only had a few. This one looks lovely!
Cate O'Malley said…
Mmmm, an orange version sounds fantastically moist - yum!
Love the organge flavor. Your cake looks wonderful. Hoping your hair is not flat today! ;-)
Katy ~ said…
I've been on a citrus kick lately and this looks so doggone good. I agree, Paula's recipes are very good!
Anonymous said…
another Paula recipe? but I didn't know she would use refridgerated rolls! I always thought she was quite a food snob. in a good way, of course!
nevertheless, looks fantastic and everyone will be fooled that I labored over it! tee hee!
Anonymous said…
Yummy cake with orange flavor - excellent!
Judy said…
I'm not a big fan of refrigerated biscuit dough, but this does look wonderful. I love orange anything.
Great coffeecake. I have flat hair too and that has happened to me before...I know what you mean.
Pam said…
Bad hair days are the worst. This orange coffee cake would make even a bad hair day better. Looks great.
Reeni said…
This looks scrumptious-love the cream cheese glaze!
noble pig said…
Love the orange, love the glaze..hate when the power goes out!
teresa said…
I love how the orange flavor has really made its way into the pastry world (or maybe it's been around forever, adn I just barely noticed!) either way, this looks fantastic!
Jenn said…
Orange coffee cake would cure any bad hair day. =) yum yum!
Jennifer said…
I love that you use Biscuits how easy is that!
Dragon said…
Yum, oranges and walnuts! Pass me a slice of this gorgeous cake.
Kerstin said…
Looks so easy and delicious - I love orange in baked goods, yum!
Anonymous said…
Hi Deb! Sons! Mine are the same way! LOL
xox
Ingrid_3Bs said…
Debbie, I feel your pain with regards to your boys mentioning your hair. My children are the same painfully brutally truthful! Luckily having six brothers has thicken my skin against it! :) It also made me one tough cookie.

Your coffee cake looks terrific even better it doesn't require advance planning!

Happy Friday!
~ingrid
Laura said…
I'm very on board with anything that calls for Pillsbury's Grands!
The Blonde Duck said…
This looks like a great coffee cake!
Emily said…
Yum. This sounds gooood. I bet it tastes like orange rolls.

Sorry about not having power. I hate that! It's storming here right now.. hope ours doesn't go out.