I'm Back......with Rugelach!



I am back from spring break and exhausted!!! While I was down at my house in Powhatan I threw a surprise 22nd birthday party for my son. It was a blast and he was totally surprised!!! He had gone out of town to a friend's house the night before so in order to get him to come back home (without too much of a fuss) I had to tell him his dog Bosco was sick!!! It worked like a charm. He couldn't drive down I95 fast enough to get back home. So not only was he surprised when he saw all the guests at his party but relieved his dog was not sick. I felt bad having to tell him the dog was sick since he is very attached to Bosco and had gotten extremely worried but I guess when push comes to shove you've gotta do what you've gotta do!!!

I also would like to thank Judy from Judy's Kitchen for an award. Judy, you are so sweet to pass it on to me. I would like to share this with all my fellow food bloggers that visit my site. I can't tell you how much I enjoy knowing other bloggers visit my site and leave comments!!!

And now to a recipe...another "husband requested" one. This time not from Paula Deen but from Ina Garten. I love Ina's recipes. I'd never made rugelach before and I did find it a bit time consuming but worth every minute. They were delicious and I will definitely be making them again!

8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 pound unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/4 cup granulated sugar, plus 9 tablespoons
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3/4 cup raisins (I used golden)
1 cup walnuts, finely chopped
1/2 cup apricot preserves, pureed in a food processor
1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon milk, for egg wash

Cream the cheese and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment until light. Add 1/4 cup granulated sugar, the salt and vanilla. With the mixer on low speed, add the flour and mix until just combined. Dump the dough out onto a well floured board and roll it into a ball. Cut the ball into quarters, wrap each piece in plastic, and refrigerate for 1 hour.

To make the filling, combine 6 tablespoons of granulated sugar, the brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, the raisins and walnuts.

On a well floured board, roll each ball of dough into a 9-inch circle. Spread the dough with 2 tablespoons apricot preserves and sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the filling. Press the filling lightly into the dough. Cut the circle into 12 equal wedges--cutting the whole circle in quarters, then each quarter into thirds. Starting with the wide edge, roll up each wedge. Place the cookies, points tucked under, on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Chill for 30 minutes.

Preheat over to 350F. Brush each cookie with the egg wash. Combine 3 tablespoons granulated sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon and sprinkle on the cookies. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, until lightly browned. Remove to wire rack to cool.

Comments

Jennifer said…
Those look really tasty, I dont think I have ever eaten Rugelach!
Donna-FFW said…
Missed you Debbie!! The rugelach loooks terrific! I love Ina haven't tried this one yet, but I intend on it.. I also love her carrot cake cupcakes, to die for!
Sara said…
Welcome back! I love rugelach but have never made them at home - yours look perfect!
Amanda said…
Oh those look so good! I've only made rugelach once, it was Dorie's, but it was delicious!
Pam said…
I am glad you had a fun spring break... I am sure your son was thrilled with the party and that his dog wasn't sick. The rugelach is making me drool.
Kerstin said…
I've never had rugelach, but it looks fantastic! What great flavors.
noble pig said…
This is one of my husband's favorite desserts! Bravo.
Coleens Recipes said…
Welcome back! I'm glad the party went over so well (I love giving surprise parties).
Anonymous said…
Welcome back! Your rugelach looks wonderful - love the filling with apricot preserves!
I am so glad you're back. I REALLY missed you! I haven't had rugelach before, but you have me hooked, I need to try this!
Ingrid_3Bs said…
Welcome back!

Debbie you DON'T look old enough to have a 22 yr old!!!! what's your secret?
~ingrid
Lo said…
Rugelach is one of my favorite cookies. My mom made them every year for Christmas while I was growing up.

To this day, I'm a sucker for that cream cheese dough. Heavenly to work with -- and tasty too!

YUM!
Lisa said…
I am so bad at surprise parties. I can't imagine pulling that off with my 22 year old but it sounds like you did a great job. And the rugelach looks lovely!
The Blonde Duck said…
Those look really good! I've never had rugelach.

That was so sweet of you to throw him a party!
Anonymous said…
Glad you are back ;)
NKP said…
Looks great! I love Ina too, she is my favourite.
Katy said…
I've never made rugelach and I'm feeling a gap in my life. Those cookies look WONDERFUL!
Judy said…
Debbie, I 've made these and they are absolutely wonderful! But full of calories. Just look at Ina. Everything she cooks is delicious, but who wants to look like her? I made these once and will never make them again. They're just too good and I can't stop eating them!
Pamela said…
Rugelach!! Yum...yum...yum!
Elyse said…
Wow, you totally pulled one over on your son, huh? Great job!! What an awesome birthday celebration. Surprises are the best. Oh, and these rugelach sound fantastic. Ina always has the best recipes.
test it comm said…
These are made with cream cheese! They sound great!