Roasted Chicken Thighs with Potatoes, Artichokes and Lemon


It's been a long weekend here. My son is still having problems with his allergies and asthma. Poor guy. This weather just plays havoc with his allergies. He missed school on Friday and when you are a 4th grader and miss school, you have some serious make up work!! I really wish the schools would do away with homework. These kids are in school for almost 7 hours a day. When my son comes home, he is fried! I really think that what kids need is daily reading in the evening and that's it. I'm tired of homework and school projects....oh, don't even let me get started on that!

This recipe is from Pam from For the Love of Cooking. Please check out her blog. Not only does she have great recipes, her pictures are beautiful. A wonderful food blog!! This dish is delicious and the only changes I made were using a can of drained artichokes since I could not find frozen ones and I didn't use any chicken broth. If you like artichokes as much as I do, then this is a must try recipe!! Thank you Pam, we all really enjoyed this.

3 tbsp olive oil (divided)
5 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, (I used thighs and legs), trimmed of any fat
sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
15 frozen artichoke hearts, thawed (I used a can)
15 fingerling potatoes, sliced in half lengthwise
1-2 cloves garlic, sliced into thin slivers
Zest of one lemon and the juice
1 lemon sliced into thin slices
2 tbsp chicken broth
1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped (garnish)

Heat a pot of water until it's boiling. Slice the fingerling potatoes down the center lengthwise then add them to the boiling water to par cook for 6-7 minutes. Remove from heat and drain water. Add the garlic slivers, lemon zest, lemon slices, artichoke hearts and 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the potatoes. Season with salt and pepper to taste, set aside.
Preheat oven to 400 F. Season trimmed chicken thighs with sea salt, fresh cracked pepper and dried basil to taste. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in oven proof skillet over medium high heat. Once very hot add the chicken thighs and cook for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown. Turn the chicken over and remove from heat. Add the potato and artichoke heart mixture to the pan. Place the skillet in the oven and roast for 15 minutes. Mix 1 tablespoon olive oil, juice of one lemon and 2 tablespoons of chicken broth in a bowl. Season with dried basil, sea salt and fresh cracked pepper.
Remove skillet from the oven and pour the lemon juice mixture over the top of everything. Let the chicken rest for several minutes before cutting.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Those look delicious! I need to make this recipe too especially since I have all the ingredients this week.
Donna-FFW said…
This is on my list to make. I saw it on her site. It is a gorgeous dish! My sister has made it and she raved about it alos. I have to get on track, so many recipes, so little time:) Yours looks delicious! Hope your sone is feeling better soon!
Anonymous said…
Gosh, Debbie! You come up with the BEST recipes! Love it - looks delicious.
What a refreshing and totally Spring dish! I'm thinking about trying it, but I have a couple of tweaks I want to try with it too!
Sophia Lee said…
that's crazy! why should a 4th-grader have so much homework? I totally agree, I think they should cut back on the homework so that they have time for other more productive activities. sometimes, even the homework themselves are meaningless and useless!
btw, those chicken looks awesome! I love artichokes!
Netts Nook said…
I have every thing to make this right now I am on my way. It looks so good thanks for sharing.
Jennifer said…
That looks really good, I wish I liked Artichokes!
The Blonde Duck said…
You know, I did a lot of articles on hw when I was the editor of a children's magazine and several studies showed that until high school, hw was actually detrimental to children's learning...
Sara said…
This looks like a great one-dish meal. I love chicken thighs, they're so flavorful.
Anonymous said…
Looks great! Although I don't like artichokes by themselves, I love them in dishes!

Sorry about your son's allergies, my daughter starts to get them when the weather turns nice and people start cutting their grass.
A delicious combo! What wonderful flavors!

Cheers,

Rosa
Anonymous said…
I love lemon on chicken. It really perks up the flavor of the poultry. And artichokes are a timely treat.
Kana said…
Delicious and refreshing!
Reeni said…
This looks delicious! Such a perfect comfort meal!
Anonymous said…
My mouth is puckering in harmony just looking at it!
Elyse said…
I hope your little guy starts feeling better soon. In the mean time, it looks like he's getting delicious meals at home. This chicken dish looks awesome!
NKP said…
I love artichokes!
My son grew out of his childhood asthma - hopefully yours will too.
Oh, and the homework - I have one who has trouble with academics so that means I had a lifetime of homework!
Cate said…
You had me at artichokes. This is definitely a tough season for asthma - hoping it ends quickly!
Oh, I love artichokes! I'm marking this one down for sure. Great site you have here!
Spryte said…
YUM!! Love those ingredients together!
Elizabeth said…
I love these ingredients together - what a great combination! I can't wait to try this!