Parmesan Puff Pastry and an Award!!!



This is a a recipe from Paula Deen. This is very simple to make and very addicting. I had these along with a chicken dinner the other night and could not stop eating them. They actually taste very light (not in calories though I'm sure). I love watching Paula Deen on Food Network but sometimes I think her cooking is a bit "over the top." It's just so rich. My husband enjoys a lot of her recipes and most of the time he will ask for something she has made and I'll cook it. I prefer Ina Garen and Giada's cooking because it just doesn't seem as rich. But Paula is a hoot. Lots of fun to watch. I also love watching Guy's show "Diners, Drive Ins and Dives." Boy do some of those dishes ever look good. Those are my type of places - good homestyle type food at a good price. I love diners. There are hardly any good ones down here in Virginia although I do know of one. We had tons of them on Long Island. I'll tell you something also that is very, very true. The best diners are owned by Greek people. I can already tell when I walk into a diner if it is Greek owned simply by the desserts and menu. When a restaurant opened down in Powhatan where we also have a house (and this area is country, real country), I was recluctant to try it. I don't like wasting money on food that isn't great and most places around here do need meet my standards of good food. Anyhow, when this place opened and I saw the desserts when I walked in, I imediately asked if Greek people ran the place (call me weird). They called the cook from the kitchen, who was also the owner and lo and behold he was Greek. Needless to say the place is great. You can always trust a Greek run and owned restaurant to be great.

Anyhow enough of that. I have also been given an award by Donna of My Tasty Treasures . Thank you Donna. I am always so thrilled to receive an award. If you haven't checked out her blog, please do. Donna has some great recipes and pictures....and you will be guranteed to crack up at her stories. I look so forward to her posts. But because of her I can no longer even look at a picture of Emeril!!!!

Parmesan Puff Pastry by Paula Deen

1 (17.3-ounce) package frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon butter, melted

Preheat over to 400F. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
On a lightly floured surface, unfold pastry sheets. Cut each sheet into 13 strips, abot 3/4 by 10 inches a piece.
In a shallow dish, combine cheese, basil and garlic powder. Brush pastry sticks with melted butter. Roll pastry in cheese mixture, lightly coating each side. Gently twist pastry sticks, and place on a prepared baking sheet. Bake for 12 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.

Comments

Elyse said…
Mmm, these puff pastry strips look delicious. I'm with you: Paula is a hoot, and I love making her recipes sometimes...but other times, they are just a little too much for me to handle (I like to sneak my butter into recipes in more subtle ways)! Congrats on your award; you are so deserving! Your blog is fabulous.
Judy said…
Congrats on your award. I love Donna's blog also -- naughty but nice. I like all the Food Network stars, but I decided a while back that I wouldn't be able to do too many of Paula's or Ina's recipes or I might get to look like them!
Anonymous said…
The parmesan puff pastry swirls look excellent! Congrats on your award!
Donna-FFW said…
Debbie- These are perfect!! I sometimes cut them in small squares before baking, with similar seasonings and use them as croutons for soup. These look awesome! And yes you can look at emeril, just try not to think of the squish factor;)
Donna-FFW said…
I also just have to say Judy comment made me laugh, about the looking like Ina or Paula. She is too funny.
Jennifer said…
I love those breadsticks, I make them all the time. Congrats on the award and what happened to doggie bloggins? LOL
Coleens Recipes said…
What a great (and super quick) finishing touch!
Barbara said…
Thanks for dropping by winos and foodies. I've seen a little of Paula Deen. She looks like great fun.
test it comm said…
Those parmesan sticks look really good!
Anonymous said…
Very nice. There is nothing like a pastry puff to bring a smile to my face.
Reeni said…
They look delicious! I want to reach in and grab one... or two!
Emily said…
I know I would love these, and wouldn't be able to stop eating them! Yum.

Congrats on the award!
The Blonde Duck said…
I've got some pastry in the freezer to use too! Perfect! Congrats on your award.
Congrats on your award Debbie. My daughter makes some very similar to these and they go like hot cakes in our house! They are so light and fluffy.
Sophia Lee said…
lol! I LOVE paula too! Her with her southern drawl ("Hi, y'all!") and her love affair with butter, and her two hot sons...haha! but I would not follow her recipes exactly either, because of the butter-overload. that said, I still love that she defies today's extreme health-conscious society and enjoys her life!
NKP said…
So funny about Donna and Emeril!
I just found one of his books at a used bookstore and thought of her.
I haven't made any Paula recipes, but these puff pastry breadstick do look tasty.
Love, love, love Ina!
Pam said…
The parmesan puff pastry strips looks amazing - I could eat a bunch of those right now.

Congrats on your award, you deserve it.
Anonymous said…
I was nodding my head in agreement as I read your thoughts about diners. I love a good diner, too, though up here in NH I don't think we have too many that are Greek owned. Now I feel a gap in my life! Paula does have a way with food, but I love buttah! The breadsticks look very good; I've never worked with puff pastry so this would be a fun place to start, I think.

Congratulations on your award. You have a great blog!
Anonymous said…
Th puff pastry strips looks wonderful! I love Paula Deen-she's a classy lady and her personal story is so inspiring. Congrats on your award. :)
Anonymous said…
Anything with parmesan cheese is worth eating. ;)
Honestly, a good handful of grated Parm raises any food to a higher level. Love the stuff!

And congrats on the award. Instead of a trophy, you should ask for a wheel of Parmesan.
? said…
looks really simple and really good